Salaries used to calculate Hogan's salary

Salaries used to calculate Hogan's salary

Ten University of Illinois faculty salaries (2011-2012) - excluding medicine and dentistry - used to calculate Michael Hogan’s faculty compensation are listed here.

* With the exception of Ian Robertson, who has a 12-month appointment, all have nine-month appointments.

The information was provided by the University of Illinois.

Name

Heidi M. Hurd

Law

$266,462.60

Source: University of Illinois

Comments

fordtruck wrote on July 23, 2012 at 8:07 am

So, in order to calculate the salary for a social sciences faculty, not one social sciences faculty member is used for comparison. Instead, faculty from nationally ranked programs and departments are chosen. I recognize that Dr. Hogan is highly respected in his area of academic pursuit, but this still seems like apples and oranges.

rsp wrote on July 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

When I heard what his was compared to everyone else at Springfield, I thought Those were the salaries they should have used. Pick the school first and use the salaries there. It makes sense to me.

Sid Saltfork wrote on July 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

The State of Illinois has a Transparency Portal for the public on it's website.  It lists all departments, and agencies with each employee's name, classification, and salary.  You will not find any of the State of Illinois universities listed.  There is a website that the university provides that lists some information pertaining to top, and average salaries; but the university employees are not listed.  That is fortunate for them.  They are not subject to having their name published with their salaries.  If the list provided by the U. of I. represents the top salaries, one wonders what the next 100 salaries look like.  No wonder tuition cost for the middle class student is becoming unreachable without years of debt resulting from student loans.

dw wrote on July 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Not the case:

If you like online forms, and a simple Googline of "Illinois Grey Book" yeilds the PDF of the entire campus:

M@

Sid Saltfork wrote on July 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm

dw;  I stand corrected.  You might want to edit to delete the sites.  As a former State Employee, I resented having personal information posted on the state's website.  Initially, our names, classification, salary, and home address were to be posted.  There was a compromise made between the unions, and the state to not post the home addresses.  Some cousin would always make a negative comment at family get togethers including funerals.  My neighbor complained that I did not donate enough to his charity of choice.  It went on, and on.  I believe the public has the right to know salaries of public workers; but employees should be allowed some privacy, and not subject to risks, or threats from some of the unbalanced public.  The information that I accessed in my earlier comment did not give names which I thought was appropriate.  Whether one works in the public sector, or the private sector; they are entitled to some privacy.  Over 5,000 of us as state employees had our SS #'s, home addresses, salary, and other personal information sold to private sources a number of years ago.  Our employer, the State of Illinois, was unable to tell us if it was our personal information sold, or not.

Lostinspace wrote on July 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

Joseph White, Joseph White, where have I heard that name?