Teen accused of using stun gun to rob prostitute

URBANA — A Rantoul teen was arrested Monday for armed robbery and other charges after he allegedly used a stun gun on a prostitute.

Urbana police Lt. Bryant Seraphin said Nathaniel L. Gano, 19, who listed an address in the 0-100 block of the Fountain Valley mobile home park, was the person who called police about noon Monday asserting that the 31-year-old prostitute he was patronizing had tried to rob him.

Seraphin said after officers investigated, they thought otherwise.

Seraphin said the woman reported that Gano came to her apartment in the 500 block of South Busey Avenue about 11 a.m. He put cash on the table and they engaged in sexual activity. When they were finished, he told her he believed she had a new email on her computer.

When her back was to him, Gano allegedly produced a stun gun and made contact with her back. He then tried to grab her money and his clothing and leave the apartment, but the woman put up a struggle. He was able to get some of the cash, Seraphin said.

Once outside the apartment, Gano called the police and reported she tried to rob him.

"When the officers gathered statements from him and her, and looked at the physical evidence and her injuries, they believed he was the instigator," Seraphin said.

Gano was arrested on preliminary charges of armed robbery, soliciting a prostitute and unlawful use of a weapon.

He was taken to the county jail, where he was expected to be formally charged Tuesday.

Serpahin said the woman had a mark on her back but did not require medical attention. She was not arrested.

Comments

Beem wrote on July 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

If he was charged with "soliciting a prostitute", then that would make her the prostitute, wouldn't it? So why wasn't she charged with prostitution, especially if they both admitted to the exchange?

common_sense_isn't wrote on July 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

It is generally the policy of the police to handle the more serious crime (the battery/robbery) before addressing the lesser crime (prostitution).  They may charge her, they may not.  Campus police have the same policy if there is a case of alcohol poisoning at a party - they overlook any underage drinking that may have been going on, because they don't want people to be afraid to call the police for something more serious.  Since the woman was the victim in this case, it makes sense that they wouldn't charge her.

auntsonyas wrote on July 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

Oh. Good to know prostitution is legal here now.

Sid Saltfork wrote on July 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I had to read the story twice.  He called the police to report that his hooker tried to steal his money!  Did I misunderstand the story?  The hooker would not have called the police.  She would have found justice in another way; street justice.  She would not have used a stun gun though.

ronaldo wrote on July 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I didn't realize that the 500 block of S. Busey was a hotbed for hookers, but being that there can't be more than one or two 31-year old women living in the only apartment on the block, it shouldn't be hard to locate the cathouse.

Sid Saltfork wrote on July 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

She was not arrested, or identified; but she was given the motivation to move on.  Next stop, Mahomet?

ronaldo wrote on July 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I don't know where she's setting up shop next, but as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

natebaux wrote on July 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

arrested, no. im sure though,  some officers will be back for some "undercover" work.

jmh910 wrote on July 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm

There are so many things wrong with this whole situation, I don't know whether to laugh or be appalled.

Sid Saltfork wrote on July 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Well, she could be a U. of I. grad student trying to pay the high tuition; or just an unemployed woman trying to get by in today's economy.  Like Ronaldo said; the location in Urbana is not the expected.  The john is the laughable, and appalling character.  Did he think he was justified because she was a hooker?  Is that why he called the police?  What a low life buffoon.

MPCPlatinum wrote on July 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Super intelligent. You call the police to come over and arrest someone you just paid for illegal services. Haha. Ohh, and since when is 19 considered a "teen"? Just because the word ends in "teen"?

thorx wrote on July 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

Is Mahomet a hotbed for escorts?  Seems like a quiet little town.

rsp wrote on July 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

Mahomet's not as quiet as you think.

natebaux wrote on July 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

the money helps keeps it quiet.

Bulldogmojo wrote on July 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

djdunn2 wrote on July 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

I worked for 8 years as a 911 operator and dispatcher. You have NO IDEA how many idiots called in for stuff like this.

Me: "911 location of your emergency?"

RP (Reporting Party): "Yeah I've just been robbed!"

Me: "Ok what happened?"

RP: "I was buying something from someone and they didn't give me what I bought... they gave me a fake instead! They stole my money!"

Me: "Ok what were you trying to buy?" (attempting to determine if this was a civil and not criminal complaint)

RP: "Some drugs."

Me: "Um... excuse me... you realize this is a recorded line and you are talking to the police... correct?"

RP: "Yes that is why I called you... I got robbed by that guy... he didn't give me what I gave him money for... he just took the money so he robbed me!"

Me: "So he took your money and didn't give you drugs for money... illlegal drugs... correct?"

RP: "Yep... you got it! I just want my money back!"

Me: "Don't worry sir... we will be right out to arres... acertain what happened to you... ok?"

RP: "Thanks!"