Villa Grove bans burning because of drought
VILLA GROVE — This city in northern Douglas County has issued a no-burn policy following a small fire on Saturday.
The fire in the cemetery on Illinois 130 was started by a lit cigarette thrown by a passing motorist into the dry grass. A visitor in the cemetery quickly put out the fire, which burned a patch of grass and the base of an electrical pole.
"We were lucky. It could have been a lot worse," said Mayor Thelma "Boots" Blaney.
Residents are asked to refrain from garbage burning, bonfires and any type of outdoor fire, including throwing lit cigarette butts, until further notice. Violation of city ordinances carries a minimum fine of $100.