Resolution on gay-pride day not on Champaign County Board's agenda

Resolution on gay-pride day not on Champaign County Board's agenda

URBANA — Champaign County Board members won't vote tonight on a resolution to designate Sept. 8 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Day in Champaign County.

County board Democrats opted earlier this month to keep the resolution off the agenda for tonight's committee of the whole meeting at 6 p.m. at the Brookens Administrative Center, 1776 E. Washington St., U.

County board Chair C. Pius Weibel said Monday that only three of approximately 12 Democrats at a recent party caucus meeting favored placing the resolution on tonight's agenda.

"I discussed it with James Quisenberry, the vice-chair of the policy committee, and he suggested that we get the caucus opinion. I think I would have overridden it anyway if it had gone to the board," Weibel said. "It's a symbolic issue. It's not a county issue per se.

"I can tell you that since I've been on the board, even before I was chair, I've not voted for these. It first came up when (former Democratic board member) Steve Beckett put up a resolution to honor the Illinois basketball team when they got second place (in the NCAA Final Four). I actually walked out of the room because I didn't want to vote either way. I don't think we should clutter up our agenda with symbolic resolutions which really mean nothing."

The LGBT proposed proclamation was offered to the county board, as well as to the cities of Champaign and Urbana, and to 21 village boards in the county by Robert Michael Doyle of the UP (Uniting Pride) Center of Champaign County.

"I'm just very angry about this. I believe the gay population of the county has a right to go to its county board and ask for this resolution," Doyle said. "The Republicans are openly hostile to us. And the Democrats pretend to be for us, but they are hostile as well."

Tonight's county board committee agenda includes consideration of a request from the county nursing home advisory board to use the county's general corporate fund for possible repayment of revenue anticipation notes to support the operation of the nursing home. The nursing home board wants the authority to get the notes from local banks if the state cannot make its Medicaid reimbursement payments on time.

The board also will consider appointments to the county forest preserve district board and a number of drainage district board.

Comments

americanproud wrote on August 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

Hooray to the board for not bringing this unnecessary issue to the table to be voted on.  We did not elect these board members so they could be sidetracked by social issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with keeping our county in good fiscal shape.

TomG wrote on August 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

Why do they need a gay pride day to be recognized by the county.  Just do your own thing and people will come.

Maybe someone needs to bring up that a straight pride day may also be needed.

Seriously what a waste of time for the board.

Joe American wrote on August 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yeah, I was kind of bummed when I didn't see the Straight Pride Day resolution on the County Board agenda, too.

But hey, the more I think about it, they only accomplish two things - wasting my tax dollars on 100% irrelevant issues and blatently trying to force our elected officials to "take sides".  Beckett's got it right - walking out of the room is the best thing to do.

787 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

Seems that this is something for the Urbana City Council to deal with.  This is what they're good at... Roundabouts and Resolutions.

stbryson wrote on August 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Actually, Beckett presented the resolution regarding the U of I basketball team.  Weibel walked out.

prideCU wrote on August 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

I don't need a designated day made for Gay Pride. Every day is truly gay pride for me whether anyone likes it or not. ;D

KSearsmith wrote on August 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

All government bodies pass symbolic resolutions from time to time. They do this to codify and express the values of their communities. In this case, the resolution would communicate that the citizens of Champaign County are affirming that this is a good place for LGBT to live, work, raise families, and visit--that we as a citizenry are committed to tolerance and equality for this particular group, which has historically been and continues to be discriminated against. I'd like to see this come up for a vote, at the least, with hope for approval.

Kelly Searsmith, Champaign County Resident

LGatesMarkel wrote on August 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hear, hear!

7lw7 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Exactly! Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

7lw7 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Exactly! Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

Joe American wrote on August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

So you only live and work in places where the local government has to publicly "confirm" with meaningless words that it's comfortable for you to do so?

Seriously, I pity your self worth.

amandachambana wrote on August 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Great point! And I would also like to see this come up for a vote.

alabaster jones 71 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Yes, (almost) all government bodies pass symbolic resolutions.  And none of those resolutions accomplish anything except wasting time.

The final two paragraphs of this article describe the sort of matters that the county board should be tending to.  I appreciate that at least one government body has decided to avoid the symbolic feel-good resolutions and to focus on their actual duties instead.

If the gay and lesbian community feels welcome in Champaign County, it will be because the people of Champaign County accept and support them.  That, instead of the county board passing some resolution, is what will affirm that this is a good place for them to live.

amandachambana wrote on August 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm

It's a really good thing that the county board never clutters up the agenda with symbolic resolutions which really mean nothing. Oh wait ...   http://www.news-gazette.com/news/politics-and-government/2011-11-08/county-board-backs-resolution-name-federal-courthouse-burges

Something proposed by the citizens of Chamaign County should rarely be called "clutter." This is obviously an important issue of the day and should be discussed by our representatives.

Joe American wrote on August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I didn't realize that "obviously" was a relative term.

amandachambana wrote on August 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm

It's not. Obviously.

Joe American wrote on August 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Great.  Then quit using it when expressing your opinions.

Mark Taylor wrote on August 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm

You sure told her what's what.

amandachambana wrote on August 16, 2012 at 10:08 am

For a guy who makes sweeping statements about groups in our community, you sure do know a lot about semantics and clarity of language. Which also means that you clearly have respect for meaning and symbols, and the importantance of symbolism a culture and society.

So let me be clear and and precise. A symbolic gesture that a county gives to a group of people is empowering and represents a broader meaning to that group than what that gesture actually is (time out of a couple of meetings for discussion and vote, and then public recognition once a year). No, a group doesn't nessessarily need the symbolic gesture from the county to affirm that the group has meaning or is important, but it is important that our representatives take action. The time is takes is a tiny fraction of what it means symbolically.

Just like the word "America." That means more to most than just 7 letters slapped together to make random sounds, it means pride and freedom and justice and, apprently for you and many others, also means biogtry.

imru95 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thank You!  I'm glad some people in this county believe that it's a good place for me to live and work.  But at the same time, I agree with PrideCU.  I don't need a specific day.  What people don't understand is that being gay isn't who I am.  It is a part of me, but it is not the whole.  I try to live my life as honestly as I can.  I treat people the way that I want to be treated.  Not sure why it's so hard for some members of our society to live the same way.

Joe American wrote on August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

"What people don't understand is that being gay isn't who I am.  It is a part of me, but it is not the whole......Not sure why it's so hard for some members of our society to live the same way."

I agree.  Attend a pride parade and tell me that the vast majority of the participants aren't wearing their gayness on their sleeve.  It's only part of them, but you'd never know that it didn't consume them.

amandachambana wrote on August 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Attend a St. Patricks Day parade and tell me that the vast majority of the participants aren't wearing their irishness on their sleeve.  It's only part of them, but you'd never know that it didn't consume them.

imru95 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm

If you are going to quote me, please do so correctly.  A pride parade is an opportunity for people to get together and celebrate an important part of their being.  Please do not judge gay people on what you see on one specific day out of a year.  I don't walk around in a rainbow flag 365 days a year, but I might at Pride.  Does that mean that my "gayness" consumes me?  I don't walk around with Lesbian tatooed on my forehead, but I won't deny who I am because it makes someone uncomfortable.

LGatesMarkel wrote on August 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

Attend an Illini basketball game and tell me that the vast majority of the participants aren't wearing their Illini pride on their sleeve.  It's only part of them, but you'd never know that it didn't consume them.

Mark Taylor wrote on August 14, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I don't see a problem with this, as long as we remember it's all about the mustaches.

danvilleareaconnect.com wrote on August 15, 2012 at 9:08 am

Why do "groups" as a whole feel they need a special day? If you are gay be proud of it and live your life, do the same if you are straight.

I wonder how the gay community would feel if there were indeed a straight day with a parade? Everyone in the parade would be accused of being close minded and not caring about others.

LGatesMarkel wrote on August 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yes. And rightfully so. The "what about straight pride" argument is just as obtuse as the "why don't we have a white history month?" argument--we don't throw straight pride parades because straight people don't face the oppression that LGBT people do. Period. Many comments on this article are outwardly saying "if you're gay, just be gay and live your life," which carries the undertone of "if you're gay, just be gay and be quiet about it." And thinking of the LGBT community in C-U is problematic when we think of it in terms of "groups," which makes it easy to see it as a political issue or a special interest. Those "groups" are comprised of many individual people who make up a big part of our local community, and all of whom have been systematically harmed and hushed. It takes dedication to undo that.

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 15, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hell, it might bring money into the community like other events.  The marathon, bike races, car rallys, football and basketball games, and the "Unofficial" bring in money.  Why not a Gay Pride Parade?  It would bring in visitors, and additional particpants.  Restaurants, bars, and hotels would benefit.  The community could use the tourism revenue.

Spence wrote on August 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm

To be honest I don't know why anyone would be prideful of homosexual behavior. I don't think homosexuals are deserving of a special day. Thank you county board for leaving it off your agenda.

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Noticed the "Chief" symbol.  Evidently, you feel the same way about Native Americans.  How do you feel about Catholics, and Jews?  What about Hispanic-Americans, and Afro-Americans?  Do you dance?  Know why Red Necks get off of criminal charges against them?   No dental records; and the DNA is all the same.

rsp wrote on August 18, 2012 at 12:08 am

Ouch!

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 18, 2012 at 9:08 am

Times have changed in this country.  Whether we like diversity, or not; it is here to stay.  We cannot waste time hating on one group, or another.  If we are to progress as a nation, we must do it together.  Drop the race, sexual preference, planned parenthood, and political party hating.  It is only holding all of us back from achieving greatness as a nation once again.  We should be concentrating on cutting the gap in inequality, and inequity.

rsp wrote on August 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Well said, Sid.

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 19, 2012 at 4:08 am

While I think Spence's comment was differently-abled, and while I support and champion civil rights for the differently-sexual; I can't reconcile one particular of your "picked on" list.

Every group you mention, except one, is a group whose members cannot help but be a part of. They're just born that way.

From my experience, that's as true of homosexuality as it is of Hispanic-Americanness.  I'd also say that being Jewish is a genetic trait (as would they).

But you're not born a member of the Roman church.

You might feel as if you're born into it,  as they tend to lay claim to everything (like being the one true church). Once you're baptized, you'll be counted among the faithful (for lobbying & other political pressure purposes) whether you choose to stay active or completely reject the dogma.

Most of my Roman church friends are ex-pats. They're still tallied for political purposes, despite being very much against church policy.

There are plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons to detest, abhor and fight the Vatican. Whether it's their quest for gold, the Crusades, enabling of Nazis, the spread of AIDS in Africa exacerbated by their refusal to abide condoms, the treatment of women, their REPEATED UNREPENTANT RAPE OF CHILDREN ... and possibly worst of all (yes), their repeated and unrepentant attempts to dictate American law and policy.

Watch John F. Kennedy speak to a room of highly concerned southern Democrats, and you'll understand exactly what's going on today.

Please don't call them "catholic." They are not ecumenical. We are not invited to their communion.

And please, do not confuse "prejudice" with considered, informed argument.

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 19, 2012 at 4:08 am

BTW, I think some people are born naturally religious, too. Perhaps someday they will be treated with the same deference as those born homosexual.

But we don't allow homosexuals to impose gay sex on us. And they don't force us to have gay sex. They just want equal rights.

The Vatican tries to impose its bizarre beliefs on our laws & policies. That's the difference.

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Attorney Rob;  Many Catholics do not follow the Vatican doctrine totally.  Look at the latest news regarding birth control, and the nuns who are being punished for standing up to the Pope.  It seems that you disregard the trends in the Catholic population; but emphasize the stereotypical views of non-Catholics. Yes, your prejudice is showing.  I used Catholics in my previous comment because of the historical persecution of Catholics by the religious right in the past.  It still exists based on your prejudicial comments.  No one is "imposing" Catholicism on you.  We don't go door to door recruiting you.  We do provide essential services to the poor such as Catholic Charities locally.  You do not have to be Catholic in order to receive the services.  For a self-proclaimed intellectual with a prestigous law degree; you are "prejudiced" based on your comments.  How about attending a mass at St. Patrick's since you are an Urbana boy.  You will see diversity.  Afro-Americans, Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Euro-Americans speaking different languages.  We are not all White in our church.  Thank you for making my previous point about "hating on groups".

BTW, feel free to criticize my spelling, and grammar as you have with other commenters who you feel are beneath you.

Peace be with you.

illini_trucker wrote on August 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

There are many errors/instances where the world catholic is capitalized and should not be.

At the end of the first paragraph, the quotation mark should always go after the punctuation, not before.

Finally, to reference your final statement, my comment should be beneath you, actually!

Yep your right.....   L O L Z !!!!! (in other words, I'm trying to poke a funny!!)

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Your the last guy that I thought would correct my grammar.  Thanks though.  It did make me smile.  You did "poke a funny"; and I enjoyed it.  :)

illini_trucker wrote on August 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

We all have our own thoughts, feelings, takes on life, etc... In the end we are all individuals who have uhhhh... Individuality!!! Lolz!

Which on your lol comment; toward the end. Remember that quotation marks come after the punctuation; even a semicolon. So now you can lol some more!! (or in this case, it should be eyes rolling by now!! Hahaha!!)

Spence wrote on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Rob, You think??? Can you provide any scientific proof?  Homosexuals have the same rights as everyone else. Why is it you talk about "gay rights" like homosexuals are a different species, they make assumptive statements like that to deceive. Homosexuals are human males & females and have all the same rights as the rest of us. It's not man, woman, and "gay". What makes humans homosexual is sexual perverted behavior.  Just who are you trying to deceive?

Handyman wrote on August 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Here we go again with the LGBT community trying to force their agenda into our lives! We the heterosexual community are tired of having your perversion flaunted around like a peacock during mating season. We get it! Your proud to be an abomination to God and nature. Do you suffer from such low self esteem that you must have a day granted to your vile ways to be proud of yourselves? If you're so comfortable with whom you are why do you have to constantly seek approval of others? Or is it that your meaning of existence is based soley on your sexual preference and if you keep advertising it, you think it will validate you are normal?

illini_trucker wrote on August 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Omg, THANK YOU handyman!!!!! I could not AGREE MORE!!! Of course we all know, now I'll be diagnosed by the LBGT community as being "homophobic;" but yet I never could understand how me wanting the LBGT community to act NORMAL like everyone else instead of ranting and raving, has made me develop a "fear" of such said community......

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Your acting normal?  Normal as defined by your standards, or others?  If they are not hurting, or threatening you; why not leave them alone instead of insulting them?  Do you think that you act like everyone else?  Do you think that everyone should act like you?  What are you teaching your kid?  It sure does not seem like your teaching tolerance of others to him.

Spence wrote on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

No one has to tolerate bad behavior

Nice Davis wrote on August 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm

If a gay person talks about their partner, are they flaunting it? If they talk about who they find attractive, are they flaunting it? If they hold hands with someone of the same sex, are they flaunting it? If they kiss someone of the same sex in public, are they flaunting it?

I suspect handyman and illinitrucker are the type of charming fellows who would answer "yes" to all of these, but wouldn't hestitate to say "no" to all of these situations if it was a straight person.

Tell you what, boys: I'll join you in calling for all the LGBT folks to sit down and shut up if you, me, and all the other straight guys stop talking to other people about our wives, girlfriends, and women we find attractive. Deal? If not, then I guess you just want to go on flaunting your sexuality.

illini_trucker wrote on August 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

M

imru95 wrote on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 am

Why don't you let me worry about my relationship with God?  Do you think you are following His word by judging me and treating me as less of a human?  Does who I love physically hurt someone??  Last I heard, living your live honestly, not hurting others, not stealing, contributing to society, all these were admirable traits.  How in the world does who I love negate these for you?  I'll explain it to you just like I explained it to my mother.  Do you have to force yourself to be attracted to your wife?  No?  Would you have to force yourself to be attracted to another man?  Yes?  Well for me, it's different.  I would have to force myself to be attracted to a man.  It's been that way for as long as I remember.  No I wasn't raped; no I wasn't molested.  I have nothing against men. A lot of my best friends are straight men. How does this hurt you or affect you?  I'm sure you've shut down, haven't allowed what I have written to permeate your brain.  Not sure why I bother.  I guess it's because if I can just get one person to understand, all of this hatred that I've had thrown my way will be worth it.