Power outage leads to fire at plant in Ogden

Power outage leads to fire at plant in Ogden

OGDEN — A power outage caused by Thursday's afternoon's storm led to a fire at a plastic vacuum forming plant, according to Ogden-Royal Fire Chief Randy Thompsen.

Nobody was injured, he said.

According to a fire department report, firefighters were called to ShapeMaster, 108 E. Main St., Ogden, at 2:05 p.m.

Firefighters from Homer and St. Joseph-Stanton provided mutual aid.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming out of an overhead door at the facility.

Thompsen said employees were in the process of heating a piece of plastic. When the power went out, the plastic dropped down into the heating element of the oven, causing the fire.

"The employees had the fire out prior to our arrival," Thompsen said. "We assisted in getting smoke out of the building."

Thompsen said that three or four employees who worked in the manufacturing area were evacuated from the building.

Firefighters left the scene by 2:45 p.m.

Thompsen said damage was minimal and that he expected the plant to be back in operation by the end of Thursday.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments