Missing Champaign teen back home

UPDATED 10:30 a.m. Friday

CHAMPAIGN — A Champaign teen reported missing Tuesday has returned home.

Alyssia Winston, 16, left her Champaign home Aug. 1 without permission. Her mother reported her missing.

She returned home safely Thursday, according to police spokeswoman Rene Dunn, who had no information on where the girl had been.

Comments

fortherecord wrote on August 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Wait... She was missing for how long before her mother reported it!? Please tell me it wasn't actually two weeks...

Uh huh wrote on August 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm

That's what it looks like and it better some kind of typo.  If my kid were to go missing I would wait a reasonable amount of time (like an hour) before reporting it to the police and I would contact the media as soon as I got off the phone with the cops.  A 16 year old is not an adult and for a parent to wait longer than overnight to file a missing person's report is completely rediculous.  I hope she turns up safe and sound tonight.

lcoil79 wrote on August 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

My guess is she saw how much attention was gotten by the 13 year old runaway under the same circumstances.  It's the only real explanation as to why a mother would wait 2 weeks to report her daughter missing.  The real question should be when will the police and DCFS charge her with negligence of a minor due to not reporting them missing for so long.  As this CHILD'S mother, she has a responsibility to know where she is and report her missing.

Let's face it.  A 16 year old with a tattoo is most likely not a model citizen, and is usually representative of a certain type of home-life.  So I'm not really surprised she was only recently reported missing.

bmwest wrote on August 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I agree that waiting 2 weeks to report your child missing is hard to fathom.  I'm surprised that she has a tattoo at 16.  I'm guessing that was received in another state or by a friend since the minimum age in Illinois is 18.  By tuxedo shirt, is that one of those screen printed t-shirts or an actual tuxedo shirt?  I had this mental image of someone walking around in jean shorts and an actual formal tuxedo shirt but I'm guessing that's not the case.  For her family and friend's sake, I hope she's found alive and well as quickly as the other recent missing child.

woopitydo wrote on August 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm

We don't know the circumstances around her "disappearance" so lets wait to judge the parents, as for the tattoo... I was 16 when I got my first one here in town when the age was 18 as well. I am a productive citizen, served 10 yrs in the military honorably, recieved my BA and have a great career not to mention the community service (not court ordered) that myself and fellow inked citizens perform. Just a little food for thought, don't be so judgmental of people.

annie2 wrote on August 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

You guys are all ignorant. There was a post on this 2 weeks ago. This post is saying she's back home. How about following the whole story before you criticize half of what you read?

woopitydo wrote on August 22, 2012 at 8:08 am

I dont see how we are all ignorant.... This is an update from the original story which all of our comments were done at that time or shortly after. The original story came out online the same day us ignorant folks commented. Look at the dates Annie. Maybe read the last line of my post. Let's not be so judgmental. Maybe you too should read the entire postings......