Rantoul man arrested for arson following mobile home fire

Rantoul man arrested for arson following mobile home fire

UPDATED 11:30 p.m.

RANTOUL — Rantoul police have arrested a Rantoul man for arson in connection with a late-afternoon fire Wednesday that totaled one mobile home and damaged another nearby.

Nobody was reported hurt.

Rantoul police confirmed late Wednesday night that Brandon A.F. Young, 21, who listed an address in Rantoul, was arrested for arson at 5:32 p.m. in the 1300 block of Cypress Lane.

Young was taken to the Champaign County Jail. No other information on the arrest was available Wednesday night.

Rantoul Fire Chief Ken Waters said firefighters were called to a vacant two-bedroom mobile home at 1211 Cypress Lane at 4:57 p.m. Wednesday.

Firefighters from Thomasboro and Gifford provided mutual aid assistance.

“When we got there, we saw flames throughout the trailer, with the worst of it in the middle of the building,” Waters said. “The flames were rising 15 feet above the roof.”

Since there are no fire hydrants in the Heritage Estates Mobile Home Park, Waters said the Rantoul Fire Department had to bring in a tanker truck to spray a total of 7,000 gallons of water on the mobile home.

Waters said an unstable floor made it impossible for firefighters to enter the building.

“There was so much damage that it would have been easy for somebody to step through the floor,” Waters said. “So we cut outside holes around the trailer and fought it that way.”

Waters said nobody was at home at the time because the residents had been evicted Tuesday night. He said the building was owned by the mobile-home park.

He said firefighters had the fire under control by 5:40 p.m.

Waters described the building as a total loss, and he estimated the loss at $10,000.

As the fire continued to burn, firefighters also worked to protect a nearby mobile home at 1213 Cypress Lane, but the fire still caused an estimated $4,000 damage to the exterior of that building, damaging the plastic underpinning, a door to the water heater, a nearby shed and a satellite dish that had been mounted on the mobile home.

Four people inside that mobile home escaped without injury. Waters said they will be able to move back in.

Waters said the cause of the fire appeared to be suspicious because there was no power or gas to the structure.

 

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments