No injuries reported in rural Paxton fire

No injuries reported in rural Paxton fire

PAXTON — A fire at a rural Paxton home on Tuesday afternoon caused damage to the basement and to one room on the first floor and water and smoke damage throughout the house.

Nobody was reported hurt.

Paxton Fire Chief Denny Kingren said firefighters were called to a fire at a two-story house at 574 N County Road 1450 E northwest of Paxton just before 3 p.m. Tuesday after a passerby saw the fire and called 911.

Paxton firefighters received mutual aid assistance from the Loda and Elliott fire departments. About 35 firefighters assisted at the scene, according to Kingren.

"When we arrived, we saw smoke coming from the structure," Kingren said. "The fire originated in the basement next to the heating system. It appeared that electrical problems with the heating may have started the fire."

Kingren said firefighters had the fire under control by 3:45 p.m. and left the scene by 5 p.m.

Fire damage was limited to the basement and to one room on the first floor, but he said there was significant water and smoke damage to the entire home. He said it was too early to estimate a dollar amount for the damage.

Nobody was at home at the time of the fire. The owner of the home was listed as Don and Sally Wolf.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments