Short in ceiling fan cause of fire

Short in ceiling fan cause of fire

CHAMPAIGN — Champaign firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in a house in south Champaign Tuesday morning.

A neighbor noticed smoke coming from the eaves at 8 Mcdonald Court about 9:40 a.m. and called for help.

The occupants of the rental property were not home at the time.

Capt. Wayne Huckstadt said firefighters determined that a whole house ceiling fan had shorted out and caused the rafters that hold the fan in place to char.

"There was no (fire) extension beyond that. There was a lot of light smoke throughout the house and some debris from the fan fell on the carpeting," he said.

Firefighters were at the house about 45 minutes, getting the smoke out after making sure there was no fire in the ceiling.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments