Accused gunman shot by police now under guard at Carle
URBANA — A Champaign man wanted for a home invasion that resulted in him being shot by police earlier this month is now being guarded by police.
Champaign County Sheriff Dan Walsh said he decided Tuesday to serve the arrest warrant issued for Anthony Brown last Thursday.
Brown, 25, of Champaign, was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital on Sept. 9 after having been shot four times by Champaign police Officers Jon Lieb and Christopher Oberheim after he allegedly raised a gun and threatened them at a house on Crispus Drive in Champaign.
Police went there in response to a call from help from a woman who reported that Brown was in the house threatening her with a gun.
Walsh declined to confirm that Brown is at Carle and the hospital is not releasing information about his condition. Walsh said he made the decision to serve the warrant, even though that makes the county liable for Brown's medical expenses until he is released and can be moved to the county jail. The county pays at the public aid rate, Walsh said.
"In terms of deciding when to execute the warrant," the sheriff said, "I used reliable information that was very current at the exact moment I executed the warrant."
Walsh said now that Brown is in custody, he'll be guarded around the clock by his deputies and other area agencies.
The Illinois State Police, Champaign, Urbana and University of Illinois police have all agreed to take turns doing so at no extra expense to the sheriff's office, Walsh said.
Brown was charged with the Class X offenses of being an armed habitual criminal and home invasion. Bond on his warrant was set at $1 million. To be released from custody, he will have to post 10 percent or $100,000 cash.
Meantime, department spokeswoman Rene Dunn said that Lieb and Oberheim were authorized on Wednesday to return to work while the internal review of the shooting continues.