Fire destroys home in Rantoul

Fire destroys home in Rantoul

RANTOUL — Fire destroyed a Rantoul home Tuesday afternoon.

Fire Chief Ken Waters said the house at 220 Alexander Drive, owned by Orelia and Robert White, was “a total loss.”

Waters said Orelia White indicated that the damage was caused by a grease fire.

“She had something cooking on the stove, left it for a second, came back and flames were around the pan,” Waters said.

She told firefighters that she tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but it didn’t work.

Orelia White; a visitor, Lillie Collins of 901 Briarcliff Drive; and two dogs got out safely. Robert White was not home at the time, according to Waters.

Waters said there were no injuries.

Firefighters were called at 1:02 p.m.

Waters said “flames were shooting out of the west side of the house, which is where the kitchen was,” when firefighters arrived.

“Smoke was coming through the roof and going up the stairs,” he said.

Rantoul Fire received help from the Thomasboro Fire Department, which sent an engine company. Gifford firefighters stood by at the Rantoul station.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 3:10 p.m.

Waters estimated the Rantoul department had 14 firefighters with one engine and a rescue unit on the scene.
 

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments