Man accused of breaking in to girlfriend's home

Man accused of breaking in to girlfriend's home

URBANA — A Champaign man who allegedly broke into his girlfriend's home Monday and stole an electronic reading device has been charged with residential burglary.

Kin J. Conerly, 40, who listed an address in the 1500 block of Hedge Road, was also charged with two counts of felony domestic battery alleging that he choked the 30-year-old woman and threw her to the floor on Friday night.

State's Attorney Julia Rietz said Conerly was at the woman's home Friday night on Brookwood Drive in Champaign and got upset with her after reading her cellphone messages. The dispute got physical and resulted in her allegedly being choked and hitting her head on the kitchen floor.

She called police, but Conerly was gone by the time they arrived.

Rietz said the woman had allowed Conerly, who was on parole for a 2006 aggravated-battery conviction, to live with her. After the Friday argument, she contacted his parole officer and said Conerly would no longer be allowed to live there.

Rietz said on Monday, Conerly called the woman at work and she told him she wanted no further contact with him. Later, he came to her office holding her electronic reading device, which had been in her dining room.

Police went to the woman's address and found that flowers that had been on a table were knocked over and the woman's Amazon Kindle was missing.

Police located Conerly at his parents' home on Hedge Road and arrested him.

If convicted of residential burglary, Conerly faces a mandatory prison term of between four and 15 years. If convicted of domestic battery, he faces an extended term of up to six years on each count because of his prior criminal record.

Rietz said Conerly has three prior convictions for domestic battery and one each for interfering with the report of a domestic battery, attempted harassment of a witness, residential burglary and aggravated battery.

Conerly's bond was set at $100,000. His next court appearance was set for Nov. 13.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

rsp wrote on October 02, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I totally get the domestic violence charges, but since when does a phone call to the probation office bypass eviction or orders of protection? Clearly she needs to be rid of this relationship but shouldn't the authorities follow the law too, and give proper advice to those in need?