Boehner to campaign for Davis in Champaign

CHAMPAIGN — Speaker of the House John Boehner will be in Champaign next week for a $250 per person fundraising dinner for 13th Congressional District candidate Rodney Davis of Taylorville.

The event will begin at 5 p.m. Thursday with a VIP reception and photo opportunity at the I Hotel and Conference Center, 1900 S. First St., C. The VIP reception is open to $1,000 sponsors or $5,000 hosts.

Dinner will be at 5:30 p.m.

Tickets to the event featuring the 11-term congressman from suburban Cincinnati, who has been speaker since January 2011, are available through the Davis campaign. They will not be sold at the door.

Habeeb Habeeb, chairman of the Champaign County Republican Party, is listed as the chairman of the event.

"Speaker Boehner coming to Champaign-Urbana to support Rodney Davis highlights the importance of this county and is a great opportunity to help spread Rodney's message of helping small businesses create jobs, keeping tax rates low and repealing and replacing Obamacare," said Habeeb.

Others listed as sponsors include Republican U.S. Reps. Adam Kinzinger of Manteno, Bobby Schilling of Moline, Aaron Schock of Peoria and John Shimkus of Collinsville.

But missing from the list is retiring U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson, R-Urbana, who notably still has not endorsed Davis in his 13th District race with Democrat David Gill of Bloomington and independent John Hartman of Edwardsville.

Meanwhile, seven-term U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Chicago, will be in Champaign on Saturday for a fundraiser for Gill.

The event will be from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at Luna, 116 N. Chestnut St., C. Tickets are $125 per person. Other support levels are patron $250; host $500 and sponsor $1,000.

Comments

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 12, 2012 at 10:10 am

Well, he does not have much to do these days except work on the impending fiscal budget cliff.  Paul Ryan, and Eric Cantor have taken away his power.  He is just a figurehead nowdays.  What is his speaker's fee?

Tim Johnson wins the primary, and promptly declines to run for election again.  The GOP leadership appoints Davis to run for the seat.  Millions of bucks are pumped into his campaign.  How many debates have we seen?  Who will be the next fund raising speaker?  Donald Trump, Rush Limbaugh, or Ted Nugent?

wayward wrote on October 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Alice Cooper would have at least been interesting.

jdmac44 wrote on October 12, 2012 at 10:10 am

Anyone want to form a protest for his part in running Ron Paul and his delegates out of the RNC and ruining the chances for an outsider to rise to power as Reagan did?

Mark Taylor wrote on October 12, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I know. Just because Ron Paul published a newsletter with interesting views regarding Jewish people, race, government, gays, and other NON POLITICALLY CORRECT theories (see here and here), people are all embarrassed and don't want to be associated with DOCTOR RON PAUL.

And certain people are all up in arms because his son claimed the Civil Rights Act is UNCONSTITUTIONAL -- whiners.

lga wrote on October 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm

This is excellent news for Don Kermath.

read the DI wrote on October 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Boehner will more harm than good.

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 12, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Not according to asparagus.  Such a filthy mouth; but he is right-wing.

read the DI wrote on October 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Think about it: Romney can't win without Ohio, yet they have
Boehner stumping in Illinois...says to me the GOP is worried about the negative opinion the electorate has of the Speaker.

asparagus wrote on October 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

@Sid, Excuse me?

I actually think Rush would make a great speaker.  They may even make it into the RnR Hall of Fame this time around.

You old lefty you ;)

Bob620 wrote on October 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Ted Nugent was already guest speaker at the Springfield Prairie Capitol Convention Center for the Sangamon County Republican Lincoln Day Dinner. This was a 100 dollar a plate dinner where Ted spoke for about 40 minutes.

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 14, 2012 at 9:10 am

Bob620;  Yes, that is why I included his name.  If you had read the comments in the State Journal Register (Springfield's one, and only newspaper); you would have seen the comments ridiculing the GOP for having him as a speaker.  Ted's rants, and raves drew attention.  The wrong kind of attention.  It turned most of the voters away from the party due to the extreme views he expressed.

The GOP has changed.  It is no longer the conservative, moderate party of the past.  In order to get votes; it has pandered to the extreme right.  The gun nuts, the lower educated, the racists, and the hateful have been embraced by the party.  It is embarrassing to be a conservative moderate in the midst of knuckle draggers.

thelowedown wrote on October 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Now we know who will be an independent voice for Central Illinois if elected.

asparagus wrote on October 14, 2012 at 9:10 am

Sid, spoken like a true knee jerk lefty with only a cartoonish appreciation of the opposition.  Keep up the good work you old lefty you ;)

Mark Taylor wrote on October 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

I know, right? These dang hell bound libtards in HOLLYWEIRD and NEW YORK CITY lack any nuanced perception of the motivations and lives of those with whom they disagree. It's sad to see such unsophisticated dominance of our civic discourse, isn't it?

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm

asparagus;  I would imagine that you, and I, share the same opinions regarding illegal immigration, the defict, and other issues.  I have voted Republican at times in the past.  I even voted for John McCain rather than the President in the last election much to the dismay of my wife.  I am conservative in regard to money.  I am moderate in regard to bipartisan cooperation for the common good.

I have become concerned with the radical polarization among the citizens of our country.  I have read Bob620's comments that people who no longer work should be not entitled to any money.  I was perplexed by his statements.  Did he mean that the unemployed should not receive unemployment benefits for supporting their families?  Did he mean that people on Social Security were not entitled to benefits that they paid all of their working lifes into?  Did he mean that people on pensions were not entitled to benefits that they paid money into?  Did he mean that people who paid into 401K's with employer participation were not entitled to their money?  What are children, and old people suppose to do?  I don't know what he meant.  Simple statements regarding simple solutions seemes to be the norm nowdays.  I have concerns that the GOP has turned to the radical right in order to get elected.  I am sure that the long time Republicans have the same concerns.  Several have resigned from Congress, and political life for that reason.

I believe people have the right to make decisions in their lives if their decisions do not hurt others.  Abortion, same sex marriage, religious beliefs, and life styles are not to be dictated by a government on it's citizens.  The right wing segment of the Republican party thinks otherwise.  Not all Republicans agree with them.  I would hope that the Republican party disassociates itself from the right wing after this election.

If that makes me a "lefty", it only supports my view.  There was a time when words like conservative, liberal, and moderate were not dirty names.

asparagus wrote on October 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Well it is time to "come to Jesus" as some would describe.  I do not fundementally disagree with you as you as you have elaborated your position.  Maybe we are cousins ignorant of a fundamental truth.

I am a libertarian.  I agree with "people have the right to make decisions in their lives if their decisions do not hurt others.  Abortion, same sex marriage, religious beliefs, and life styles are not to be dictated by a government on it's citizens."

But, I am very sceptical of "organizations" like parties or unions that speak for the "people."

I fundementally believe that political parties are wrong.  They concentrate power into the hands of a minority.  Unions do the same.  I wish they did not.  What a wonderful world that would be. God! Give us that world ... but it will not be now.

Sid, I completely love you as a being.  That said, your actions are yours and yours alone.  Be true to your beliefs but be ever discerning of them.  Change is not weakness, it is understanding and strength.

read the DI wrote on October 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm

You live in a republic. Power is concentrated because that's how the Framers set it up.

asparagus wrote on October 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I don't agree with you.  The founders were fundamentally opposed to the concentration of power.

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Yes, asparagus.  My actions are mine alone; but they will be in accord with those who believe like me.  The GOP must lose this election in order for their party to purge the extreme right wing elements from it following defeat.  We are facing a crisis due to corporations being considered people, obscene amounts of money influencing elections, a short attention span electorate, and hate spewing extremists.  I am voting for the President this time.  I am voting for stability in the recovery.  I am voting for a return to sanity in political discourse.  Only until the GOP loses due to it's pandering to the extremists will it rise again to being the Grand Old Party.  We have seen what the Tea Party, and Grover Norquist has done to the Republican political platform.  When conservative moderates of both parties start to cooperate on the issues, and problems; full recovery will come.

I look forward to your cooperation for achieving solidarity in January.  Our overall goal remains the same.

asparagus wrote on October 15, 2012 at 7:10 am

Fortunately, Obama will likely lose.  I say fortunately because we do not need more debt, more extreme partisanship and especially not more government.  Four more years of President Obama will likely cause irreparable damage.

As for hate spewing.  How can you ignore the democrat/progressive hate machine. I could easily talk about how the democrat party has been hijacked by the far left.  Pelosi and Reid are poster children for ugly partisanship.  Obama may have tried to extend a hand across the aisle when he got to the white house but these two quickly took control of the show and rammed Obamacare down our throats in one of the most ugly displays of partisanship in recent history.  Thank them for the rise of the Tea Party as a reactionary movement.

I might add that the rhetoric at Tea Party rallies is a lot more civil than that at union or occupy rallies.  Characterizing any of these groups as cartoonish fools is easy but wrong.

The real problem is that the two political parties have too much power and have created a system that only produces ultra partisan candidates. Why you choose to see this only on the right baffles me since you seem to be a very intelligent person.

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I am biased against right wing extremists due to personal experience from my childhood.

You make a valid point about extremism on both the left, and the right.  Throw in a massive amount of propaganda; and eventually violence erupts between the two groups.  That starts the demise of democracy.  Moderates engaging in civil discourse leading to compromise become rare.  People decide to follow a leader that offers relief of their poverty, and fears.  Nationalism, and racism increase in spite of living in a global society.

We are not there yet; but we are getting closer.  You have made your choice; and I have made mine.  I can depend on you to speak out against the left wing; and you can depend on me to speak out against the right wing.  Hopefully, we will support the moderates for the necessary compromises for the good of all.

Sadly, we both have to agree that Boehner is no longer relevant politically.  His time has passed. I believe that Pelosi's, and Reid's time have passed also.  All of this mess could have been avoided if Congress had not become so corrupt with insider trading, lobby money, and payoff jobs following "public service".

asparagus wrote on October 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Agreed.

There is a resonable middle ground. I have always believed that.

We have different views relative to emphasis, but I believe we want the same outcomes.

We want free, happy, productive people that are as a whole satisfied with their lives and hopeful for their futures and the futures of their children.

We do not want to achieve that at the expense of others.

I think that where we most disagree is over "human nature." Are humans on balance "good" or "evil" via their daily doings.  Evil meaning without regard to others, and  good meaning empathy for others.  I believe that this is a crap shoot, dependent on the socio-economic background of a given instance.  You believe that this is correctable (and without judgement) through education and "helping hands."  I believe that once a mindset is formed, the likelihood of changing it is exponentially decreasing relative to it's formation.

Is that harsh or realistic? I believe realistic.

I want everyone to  be fulfilled, happy, energized, proud.  How can that happen? I don't know if it can ever be 100%.  But, I hope that those that evaluate their existential happiness will not factor their perceived existential happiness of others into the equation without rational examination.

read the DI wrote on October 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, asparagus. It's all right there in the Constitution.

asparagus wrote on October 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

In your view, yes. In my view no. Whose view will win the popular sentiment, and thereby create the future. I challenge you.

read the DI wrote on October 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Como se taco?

Spence wrote on October 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Gill is afraid to debate Davis......

read the DI wrote on October 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

'ssssup, Montell?

asparagus wrote on October 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hey ssup? Read.

?????

danrice56 wrote on October 16, 2012 at 2:10 am

A party where the main topic will no doubt be keeping most of the wealth in the hands of the wealthy, most of us be damned, attended only by the wealthy. As the wealth gets in the hands of fewer and fewer, I am awaitng the day one of these fundraisers is just two guys sitting across from each other, passing cigars and favors back and forth.