18-year-old charged with robbery, burglary

18-year-old charged with robbery, burglary

URBANA — A Champaign teen already charged with a residential burglary that allegedly happened late last month has been charged with another crime.

Linnell Blount Jr., 18, who listed an address in the 100 block of Bellefontaine Street, was charged Tuesday with robbery and residential burglary in connection with the theft of a large amount of cash from a 69-year-old man that occurred on July 15.

Assistant State's Attorney Stephanie Weber said that Blount, known to his family and friends as "Junior," was at a home on West Bradley Avenue in Champaign where the grandfather of one of his friends lives.

Weber said Blount and the victim's grandson had been outside with the older man in the backyard. When the older man went inside, Blount allegedly followed him, grabbed him from behind in a bear hug and took his wallet, which contained about $1,400 cash. He then allegedly ran from the home.

Weber said the incident was reported to Champaign police right away but police had little to go on since the victim had medical issues that made him unavailable for several weeks and the victim's grandson chose not to cooperate with police.

In September, the victim picked Blount out of a photo lineup as the person who had been at his home. One of the victim's daughters also told police that she saw Blount, whom she knew as "Junior," leaving her father's house that day when she arrived.

Weber said she filed the new charges Tuesday. Blount has been in the county jail since Sept. 29, charged with residential burglary for a break-in that occurred Sept. 28 in the 1600 block of Hedge Road in Champaign.

Both robbery and residential burglary are Class 1 felonies carrying a potential prison sentence of up to 15 years upon conviction.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

rsp wrote on October 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm

the victim's grandson chose not to cooperate with police.

When you look the other way while your "friend" assaults an elderly man and steals his money I think you kind of lose the right to call yourself his grandson. Real men stand up for their elders, they don't rob them or look the other way while "friends" do it, either. 

ronaldo wrote on October 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Of course the two-bit thug "grandson" wouldn't cooperate - I'm betting he was in on the heist.  How else would the coward who stole the wallet know that the grandfather had $1400 on him?

americanproud wrote on October 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Shame on those 2 boys, both the perpetrator and his accomplice.  I'm just thankful that the older gentleman wasn't physically hurt.  The article says he has medical issues that kept him from talking to police.  I hope he's okay.  No indication he ever got his $1400 back. 

As far as the grandson refusing to talk to police, I don't know what gives him the right to avoid answering questions.  If he has nothing to hide, he would talk. 

wilsona wrote on October 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Obviously the "grandson" is the one that told his friend about the money and won't cooperate because he doesn't want to be charged as an accessory.  He needs to either be charged as an accessory or, at the bare minimum, be charged with obstruction of justice.  We need to start showing people that it's not right to keep your mouth shut.