Officials: Cigarette caused fire at Danville home
DANVILLE — A discarded cigarette apparently is to blame for a fire that caused extensive damage to a house on Danville's north side on Monday afternoon, officials said.
Firefighters responded to a house at 31 Thornhill Drive for a call of smoke coming from the second floor at 2:25 p.m. When they arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the tri-level, wood-frame house.
"We had a lot of heat and smoke damage on the second floor," Assistant fire Chief Tom Pruitt said.
He said firefighters brought the blaze, in a second-story bedroom, under control in about 30 minutes. They stayed on the scene until close to 4 p.m. making sure there were no flare-ups.
The house is owned by Dr. Ponniah and Visanthi Sivanesan. The couple and their two sons were home when the fire broke out.
Public Safety Director Larry Thomason said police, who were in the area, helped everyone out. No one was injured.
A female was taken to a hospital by Medix Ambulance. However, Pruitt said the woman had an existing health condition and was taken to the hospital for observation.
"She didn't have any ill effects from the fire," he said.
Pruitt said one of the sons was issued a citation for carelessly discarding smoking materials, a city ordinance violation. The son's name wasn't available Monday.
Damage is estimated at about $50,000.