Updated: House fire in Rantoul causes $100,000 damage

Updated: House fire in Rantoul causes $100,000 damage

Updated 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

RANTOUL — A Wednesday afternoon fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage to a Rantoul home.

Firefighters were called to a home at 1325 Sunset Drive just before 2 p.m.

Fire Chief Ken Waters said the fire began in the kitchen.

"Apparently (the resident) had a pan of grease on the stove. Some friends came by, and he came out to talk with them and forgot about the fire," Waters said. "The pan flashed over, and the next thing you know" the kitchen was on fire.

Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Kaiser said investigation confirmed that it appeared to have been started by a grease fire.

The house is owned by Monteen Gray, Kaiser said, and was insured.

No injuries were reported.

A female and children who live at the home were not there at the time of the fire. Names of the occupants were not available. Waters said they will be staying with family.

Waters said 16 Rantoul firefighters and six Thomasboro firefighters responded.

It marked the second grease fire in a little more than a month in Rantoul.

In late September, a grease fire was blamed for a blaze that heavily damaged a home at 220 Alexander Drive.

Sections (2):News, Local
Tags (1):Rantoul fire

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments