Fire at Danville apartment blamed on candle

Fire at Danville apartment blamed on candle

DANVILLE — A candle is apparently to blame for a fire that damaged an apartment in the Vermilion Garden Apartments over the weekend.

Danville firefighters responded to a call for a possible apartment on fire at 1223 Garden Dr., Apt. G, at 11:32 a.m. Saturday.

When they arrived, there was nothing showing from the outside, said Capt. Dave Milholland. But once inside, they found a fire in one of the bedrooms.

"It appears that a candle in the bedroom was knocked off a dresser and ignited some clothes on the floor," Milholland said.

The first-floor apartment is one of eight units in a two-story building in the complex, which is off Bowman Avenue on the northeast side of town. According to a report, one of the apartment's occupants, whose name wasn't available, as well as other people were in the building when the fire broke out.

But "everybody got out safely," Milholland said, adding there were no injuries to occupants or firefighters.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 10 minutes, Milholland said. They stayed on the scene doing overhaul work until 12:41 p.m.

Damage was estimated at $15,000.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

Lefty wrote on November 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Just wondering...how is the candle itself to blame?