Danville firefighter response policy revised again

Danville firefighter response policy revised again

Firefighters will once more be sent if someone is unconscious

DANVILLE — In October, the Danville Fire Department stopped automatically responding to certain medical emergencies deemed non-life-threatening, leaving those solely to the private Medix Ambulance service.

But Public Safety Director Larry Thomason has made some changes this week to that new policy, which has received criticism from some residents and officials with the Illinois Association of Firefighters, which represents Danville firefighters.

Thomason said the fire department will resume automatic responses to calls for an unconscious person. He said the decision is not a "knee-jerk response" to a situation on Tuesday morning that involved a relative of retired firefighter Randy Elliott.

Thomason said he knew there would be reasons to tweak and re-evaluate the policy, which the fire division will continue to do, and this change is a result of that ongoing evaluation.

Prior to Tuesday, Elliott told aldermen during city council meetings his concerns with the fire division no longer responding to certain medical emergencies. At Tuesday night's meeting, Elliott again spoke to aldermen, telling them how he found his mother at her home unresponsive and called 911. Elliott said he specifically asked the dispatcher to send the fire department, which is just down the street from his mother's residence. Elliott said the dispatcher told him the fire department would not be dispatched to that call.

Elliott said two Danville police squad cars arrived before the ambulance did. Elliott said he's glad the policy is being changed but added that other types of calls, such as strokes, should be added back to the list, prompting automatic response from the fire department.

Thomason said the new policy has already cut the overall number of fire calls, including both fires and medical emergencies, by half. Thomason has said that the decision was made to narrow the list requiring automatic responses for three reasons: safety of fire personnel, safety of the public and preservation of fire equipment. Each time one of the fire trucks goes on a call, he said, there's risk of an accident that puts fire personnel and the public at risk of injury and equipment and other property at risk of damage.

Earlier this year, Thomason, in conjunction with command officers in the fire division, narrowed the list of automatic response calls to 13 from more than 20.

Until Tuesday, the list of the 13 did not include a call for an unconscious person. Others calls that no longer require an automatic response from the fire division include allergic reactions/stings/bites, chest pains, convulsions/seizures, diabetic problems, heat/cold exposure, overdose/poisoning, pregnancy/childbirth and strokes.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

ff907 wrote on December 06, 2012 at 10:12 am

While every Fire Department in the United States is adding services to protect the community and citizens is serves we get to watch Danville eliminate services.  How can eliminating calls be viewed as a service to the community?  If you are worried about the liability of responding "code" then respond "no code" to lessen the liability or risk to the personnel and community.  if you're worried about the stress of using the equipment well then you need to get out of the business.  The equipment is made to be used to save lives and the city should budget for replacement of equipment when the equipment has been used past it's expected lifespan.  I know that everyone in the City of Danville government applied for the job wanting to help the citizens, but somewhere I think someone forgot about that goal.

rsp wrote on December 06, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I can understand both sides to the argument. I would prefer guidelines of calls they may not go on based on the information given. I'll give two examples to make my point. Both of these are real calls to the Champaign County METCAD. The first one may be my favorite one.

The dispatcher sent out the call about a woman with an earwig in her ear. There were people with her who could take care of her but she was in a panic. The fireman asked, what is an earwig, and the dispatcher replied a bug. Meanwhile I'm screaming at the scanner to tell her just to put some oil in her ear. No, they sent a truck. For a bug. I really hope they had the sirens on.

The second one was someone called needing a bandaid. A student at the UI was drunk on a corner and had cut his little finger. They sent a truck. He was down the street from Walgreen's. 

They should be able to wave these kind of calls off. And have more flexability with the others. How about we start publishing all the false alarms they go on and the companies who own the equipment?