Arrest warrant issued for Champaign man in shooting of his wife

Arrest warrant issued for Champaign man in shooting of his wife

URBANA — A Champaign County judge has issued an arrest warrant for a Champaign man who allegedly shot his wife multiple times in a car earlier this week.

Assistant State's Attorney Steve Ziegler said he filed Class X felony charges of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm against Mikal Washington, 33, of the 1000 block of West Church Street, in connection with the shooting of his wife, Femi Fletcher-Washington, 31, of Urbana.

Ziegler said that about 9:15 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9, Fletcher-Washington was driving Washington west in the 900 block of Church Street when he apparently opened fire on her without warning, hitting her in the right side several times.

The car left the road, coming to rest against a house in the 900 block of West Church Street. Ziegler said witnesses saw a man running from the car.

Champaign police ultimately found Washington in the basement of his apartment building in the 1000 block of West Church Street, where he had apparently stabbed himself. A release earlier this week said Washington was not cooperating with officers so they enlisted a University of Illinois police officer to use a Taser to incapacitate him so he could be taken to the hospital.

Both are believed to be recuperating at Carle Foundation Hospital but officials there said they had no information on their conditions.

Ziegler said he was told the couple is married but separated and had no specifics on their respective injuries.

Fletcher-Washington works for the city of Urbana's public works department.

Court records show that twice in the past she applied for orders of protection against Mikal Washington in Champaign County, getting one in June 1999 that was dismissed in February 2001.

Ziegler said Washington has prior criminal convictions for domestic battery, criminal damage to property, endangering the life of a child, driving under the influence, and driving under revocation.

Because Washington is still getting medical care, Sheriff Dan Walsh said he'll wait to serve the arrest warrant to avoid the county having to pay for Washington's hospital bills.

Judge Richard Klaus, who issued the arrest warrant for Washington, set his bond at $2.5 million.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
ilpatriot wrote on December 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I have said this time and again. When these felons are caught with firearms, call the Feds.

10 years and $250,000 fine. And no plea bargain. They used to have an "operation" to bust these people,  but I can't remember the name. It started in Norfolk, Va. If anyone can remember it, please post.

illini_trucker wrote on December 15, 2012 at 6:12 am

I don't know the entire situation. What I do know is this.. These judges need to be held accountable when they deny an OP and stuff goes all to heck.. Especially Judge Blockhead!

skiparoo wrote on December 15, 2012 at 7:12 am

we only have about 5 judges that are not 'blockheads' or tainted.  where the buck stops.

illini_trucker wrote on December 15, 2012 at 10:12 am

Oopsie.. My bad.. Did I say Blockhead? I meant to say Blockman.. But I don't see much difference between the two...... He always takes the woman's side. It makes no difference unless the evidence is overwhelmingly d*mning against her. This is known to all attorneys in the area. Well, I've had three different attorneys plus myself going pro se a couple times over family law and an OP. OP got denied of course for my child, said I was trying to restrict visitation while when the tables were turned, she had no concrete evidence at all, just hearsay, basically he said she said stuff.. At least on my denied OP I asked for supervised visits. When she did hers, there was nothing. Screw the caring dad. And I've been warned from the get go about Blockhead from all three different attorneys spanning 11 years...

illini_trucker wrote on December 15, 2012 at 10:12 am

He eventually let me have full custody.. Only after she tried committing suicide and that little boy was the one to make the emergency phone call at 5 years old... Mental damage already done...