Man robbed at gunpoint in Champaign

Man robbed at gunpoint in Champaign

CHAMPAIGN — Champaign police are looking for a man who robbed a man at gunpoint outside an apartment complex in north Champaign Wednesday afternoon.

Champaign police spokeswoman Rene Dunn said a man who was selling hats through Craigslist met a potential buyer in the 1500 block of Kiler Drive at 1:15 p.m. The would-be purchaser displayed a revolver, took the seller's money, and ran.

The robber was described as black, about 18 or 19 years old, about 6 feet 3 inches tall, with short hair. He was wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt, grey pants and grey shoes. The victim was not physically harmed, Dunn said.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 351-4545 or Crimestoppers at 373-8477.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

Lostinspace wrote on December 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

When will members of the black community come to grips with the fact that this kind of incident does serious and continuing damage to their well-being?  Self-policing and working with the police would seem to be the obvious path to take.  Closing their eyes just makes it worse.  No racist ranting please.

rsp wrote on December 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I'll go one better.

If you are going to meet a stranger to sell something meet in a public place. Tell people where you are going. Don't go alone. Do you really need to do it? Don't carry unnecessary cash, credit cards, etc. Get advice from other people who have been successful. I'm sure there are others ideas out there. It's better to prevent it from happening than to try to recover from it later.

NewVegas wrote on December 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

First off, thank you for your concern for the black community (not sarcasm).

No I will not call you a racist, but your comment makes it seem as if one black criminal should reflect the entire black community. Thats like someone saying, "when will members of the white commmunity come to grips with the fact that 4 out of 5 mass shootings in the past 13 years, have come from white individuals, who just happen to be male, I mean whites should self police and work with the police to stop mass shootings at malls, schools, movie theaters.....Closing your eyes just makes it worse."

Neither statement should be made, and I could not and would not say this to a white person regardless. How is it damaging blacks well-being? Image, maybe but then thats just over-generalization to believe that each black person is held accountable by the positive or negative actions of another. Check out the term, Microaggression, because it is a better fit than racist, because I believe that does not describe your post. Once again, I am not demeaning you, but I would like to point out that sometimes perspective can lie to us depending on where we stand.

It is a community issue. The rash of crime has increased drastically since the beginning of the summer. What are WE the community doing about this? I do understand where you concern lies, however the token black criminal cannot speak for the entire black community, just the same as the token white mass murderer cannot speak for the entire white community.

SouthernMan wrote on December 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm

From what I have been reading lately, conceal and carry can't come soon enough in Illinois.

alabaster jones 71 wrote on December 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Yep.  Then the victim could have pulled out his piece too, and then one of them (more likely the victim) would have been more likely to end up dead.

SouthernMan wrote on December 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Why wouldn't you give the victim the benefit of the doubt on who would have been more likely to be dead? Depending on the circumstances it could go either way. Proper training and being in control of the situation I would give the upper hand to the victim.

alabaster jones 71 wrote on December 20, 2012 at 3:12 am

Call me crazy, I think I'm gonna give the edge to the guy who already has his gun out.

You don't need to convince me to support concealed carry, I already do.  I just have a good chuckle when people act as if it's a magic wand that will seriously curb violent crime.

bluegrass wrote on December 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I'm gonna agree with alabaster on this one and give the edge to the perp here, but not for the reason mentioned.  I'm gonna give the edge to the guy who robbed the other guy, only because the victim, in this case, was apparently going to buy a hat from someone through Craigslist.  Do people really buy hats like that?

I think as a good start to this whole concealed carry law in Illinois, for the first rule we should disqualify any person who has purchased or attempted to purchase, or even considered purchasing a hat on Craigslist.  I think that's fair.  Although I just realized though, that a criminal would then know for sure that a Craigslist hat purchaser would be unarmed....  It's a quandry.

alabaster jones 71 wrote on December 21, 2012 at 12:12 am

The purchaser was the robber, not the seller.

But yes, I would agree that anyone stupid enough to go to the 1500 block of Kiler...alone...carrying cash and valuables...to meet a stranger...to sell a hat...is probably not sharp enough to be trusted with a weapon.

rsp wrote on December 20, 2012 at 6:12 am

They took a group of people and trained them better than any program in current use. They also told them they would be tested to see if they could protect themselves. Even the ones who grew up around guns "died". So much for concealed carry. It may just be another source of guns for the street.

SouthernMan wrote on December 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

Where did you get those made up statistics? From your imagination? Oh well, live your lives out while the low life thugs rule your streets. LOL

SouthernMan wrote on December 20, 2012 at 9:12 am
rsp wrote on December 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

They trust everyone so that's why they carry guns. Makes perfect sense to me. Just curious though. The guy in Conn. was shooting quite a few rounds per minute, and wearing a bulletproof vest. Would it be safe to assume the teachers are focused on teaching, not guarding the doors? So if someone came in they wouldn't just magically take out the shooter and save everyone like they hope everyone thinks?

rsp wrote on December 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

In 2009, ABC’s “20/20″ demonstrated the problem with a clever experiment. They recruited a dozen or so students, gave them gun training that was more comprehensive than what most states require for concealed carry permits, and then entrusted them with a gun and told them they would have to fend off a shooter later that day. Separating them, they placed each one in a real classroom with other “students” (actually study compatriots). When a gunman burst in and started shooting, each student tried to respond by drawing his or her gun. Every single student failed, including several who had had years of practice shooting guns, and they all got shot (fortunately, it was just paintball bullets in real handguns).

SouthernMan wrote on December 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Interesting article. The study seemed to only prove that in one situation out of many does this result occur.The NRA is now advocating guns in all public schools and teachers and parents get together as soon as possible to discuss school safety. More guns on the street isn't the answer. It's allowing those who posess the capability of responsible ownership to carry a concealed weapon on them at all times. Unfortunately it is impossible to determine who falls in that catagory. A sane person can snap at any givin time. I know of a former truck driver who used to transport cargo from Kraft to storage facilities not far from Kraft. As he sit high in his cab he could look down into cars and see inside them. He has seen alot of people with guns laying in the seat next to the driver as they were going down the road or at a stop sign (The intersection of Bradley and McKinnley) alot. Criminals and Law Inforcement are allowed to carry guns leaving out the law abiding citizens as sitting ducks for gun related crimes. We can bicker for the rest of our lives on this issue but I personally believe that conceal and carry isn't the answer to gun crimes but it is a deterent.

ShampooBanana wrote on December 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm

NewVegas, thank you for your comments; those were precisely my thoughts as well.  And I commend the tone you struck to make your point.

mstrom wrote on December 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

This is one of the more bizarre threads.  Pre-Christmas and end of Mayan calendar jitters?? I can't even respond to the "black community need to keep control of their criminals" it is so far off in kookville.  On the other matter, I think what is more of a deterrent with conceal carry is that the bad guys don't know who is carrying, not actually who wins the fictional gun fight.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on December 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Just like the NRA's Wayne LaPierre says we need to have armed "good guys" (REAL AMERICANS) in every school, we need to have armed good guy REAL AMERICANS on every street corner.

Then everything will be fine and dandy like ginger candy.

An armed society is not just a polite society, it's a totally sooper dooper double plus A1 safe society as well.

Sid Saltfork wrote on December 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I don't know about the rest of you; but I can remember a couple of teachers I had in the past who definitely should have not been allowed to carry guns.

The debate over gun control in this country is really about the differing intelligence levels of the population, and their mental health status.  The NRA wants armed guards in every school; but no restrictions on assault rifles, or high capacity magazines.  What about both instead of one, or the other?

dane wrote on December 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I also saw the 20/20 episode. It was a rigged game. If you watch it again note how when the shooter came into the room he went straight for the CC plant. He never had an opportunity. Comments by the people putting it on afterward made it clear that they did not favor CC and this was just a pseudo-science dog and pony show for people who choose not to think too deepely about what they are shown.

This video shows just the opposite thing happeneing, therefore it must be absolute proof that CC works, just as the 20/20 clip shows that it does not. Oh, except the video is not a rigged game...

serf wrote on December 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm
serf wrote on December 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

BTW, this is why I think concealed carry is a bad idea.

Not exactly what u have in mind when you think of 'responsible gun owner'

SouthernMan wrote on December 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Well when they pass the "Conceal and Carry" don't bother with it. Your personal problem with "Conceal and Carry" is resolved.

serf wrote on December 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

You misunderstand my problem.  Let me explain my problem to you in detail:

My problem is that any dolt will be able to go out and carry a gun around.  I linked that youtube vid to show an example of the type of dolt that I am worried about.  He apparently has no idea of proper gun safety (take a look at around 3:30 in the vid when he essentially points a loaded weapon at the cameraman).

Additionally, the woman presents him with a problem regarding the gun she feels the need to carry in the small of her back (a full size bedazzled Glock, mind you).  The problem is a big one.  Something is malfunctioning with the gun that makes it shoot full auto.  For anyone who has any experience with firearms, you'll understand that this is not something to be taken lightly.  So what's his answer?  Swap out the lower reciever and hand it back to her.  Problem magically solved!  No test firing, no actual thought going into why they gun might be malfunctioning in such a fashion.  Hell, he even admits that the gun had the problem before (makes you wonder what his credentials are as a gunsmith).

So the next time this lady gets scared of her shadow and pulls out the bedazzled Glock to fire off a round, she very well might discharge then entire magazine with a single pull of the trigger.  Hope she practices better muzzle discipline than the fool who wears too much goth jewelry.

I've made it this far in life without getting mugged, raped, or kidnapped.  I'm not scared to walk around in public.  If I am ever in that position, what I'm more concerned of is some 'good samaritan' coming to my aid (even if I don't need it) and making a bad situation worse.