Updated: Three jailed in Savoy home invasion

Updated 3:48 p.m. Wednesday

SAVOY — Three Mahomet men are in jail in connection with an early morning home invasion and robbery in Savoy Tuesday.

Colton L. Fender, 20, of the 1100 block of East Timber Drive, and Cody A. Fry, 20, of the 300 block of North Prairieview Road, were charged Tuesday with home invasion and aggravated robbery, had their bonds set at $250,000 and were told to be back in court Jan. 22.

A third man, Jordan Fancher, 19, of the 1000 block of Pin Oak Drive, turned himself in Tuesday afternoon and was arraigned Wednesday on the same charges.

Sheriff's Sgt. Dan Coile said deputies were sent to the apartment complex at 1206 Wesley Avenue at 12:11 a.m. after neighbors reported hearing yelling and the sound of things being knocked around.

As one deputy was knocking on the door, a second deputy saw two men coming out a window on the back side of the building. They ran and Fender, who was allegedly carrying a handgun, apparently got away in an idling car. He was arrested at his home in Mahomet about three hours later. Fry was caught within moments near the apartment building and Fancher fled, turning himself in later.

Coile said deputies learned that the 21-year-old resident had been robbed of about $1,900 cash and his iPhone after being punched, kicked and shot in the hand with what deputies learned was a pellet gun. The gun was recovered in the grass near the apartment and the victim refused medical treatment. Deputies did not find the cash or the victim's phone, Coile said.

The resident told deputies that the three men forced open his door and began struggling with him. Fry allegedly took the man to the ground and Fender allegedly fired a shot from the pellet gun that hit the resident's hand.

The intruders demanded cash and cannabis as Fry reportedly held the man on the floor and the other two punched and kicked him, then searched the apartment.

Coile said all three men had bandannas covering their faces.

If convicted of the more serious home invasion charge, the men face a mandatory prison sentence of between six and 30 years.

On Wednesday, Fancher was also charged in a separate felony case with possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance (less than a gram of amphetamine on July 6) and possession with intent to deliver cannabis (between 10 and 30 grams between November 2011 and July 2012).

State's Attorney Julia Rietz said in July, University of Illinois police did two controlled buys from Fancher that led to a search of his home that turned up drug paraphernalia, pills, packaging materials, cannabis and a pistol. He was not arrested at that time and the report of that activity was only recently forwarded to her office for charging, she said.

Judge Richard Klaus set Fancher's bond at $260,000 for both cases and told him to be back in court March 19.

Comments

PEguy wrote on January 15, 2013 at 8:01 am

A 20-year old living on Timber Drive in Mahomet?  Is this a rich kid living with mom and dad trying to steal some pot?  Or is this a hardened criminal living in an upscale sub-division?

virtualAnonymity wrote on January 15, 2013 at 9:01 am

The pellet gun made them do it. It might have been a scary looking one.  Oh Biden, did you see this?

dd1961 wrote on January 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

I am curious.  What do you consider "rich, upscale"?  For example, give me a comparable neighborhood in Champaign that you think this Mahomet neighborhood equates to?

On another note, have we not seen these young men in the news before for being in trouble. Seems to me this is not their first time.

OK, just asked my daughter who had them in the same class.  They were not upstanding high school students either.  Sounds like they have continued their career.

imru95 wrote on January 15, 2013 at 5:01 pm

The only way this neighborhood could be considered "rich, upscale" is if you are currently living in a shack.  The neighborhood is a middle class, blue collar neighborhood. And yes....Mahomet does still have a few of those neighborhoods left.

vcponsardin wrote on January 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

I doubt the young man whose apartment was broken into was an innocent victim here.  He had $1900 in cash.  What person, especially a 20 year-old, carries that much cash around?  That the robbers were wearing bandanas to cover their faces is another indication that they all knew each other.  Most importantly, despite the break-in and attempted robbery, no one was seriously hurt.  Why?  Because the robbers were carrying a pellet gun only and not a semiautomatic assault rifle.   So, no, this story is NOT an example of why we all need to carry loaded guns in our houses.  In fact, it's a very good example of just the opposite.

rsp wrote on January 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

Are you sure we don't need assault rifles strapped to our sides just in case? Shouldn't we all be in an arms race with the neighbors? I really want that tank.

Shadow wrote on January 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

vcponsardin wrote:
"Most importantly, despite the break-in and attempted robbery, no one was seriously hurt.  Why?  Because the robbers were carrying a pellet gun only and not a semiautomatic assault rifle.   So, no, this story is NOT an example of why we all need to carry loaded guns in our houses.  In fact, it's a very good example of just the opposite."

Just because these teens (not yet adults) were not brandishing real firearms in their home invasion doesn't mean that others with the same intent will not. For all we know, they couldn't gain access to real firearms. For all we know, they may have tried to secure a real gun and would have used it.

I, for one, support the right to own and bare guns for the protection of myself, my family and my property. I own two hand guns and two AR 15 type rifles that I would use in a heartbeat to protect what is mine. I am also a law abiding citizen and carry a FOID card for those guns.

I would hate to see the result if I were trying to protect myself with a pellet gun while the invaders are carring a fully loaded operational hand gun.

Bad guys get guns in bad ways... they are not law abiding.
They steal them or they buy them from someone else who has stolen them. Or, in more recent circumstances, they even convince a law abiding citicen to buy the gun for them.
To prevent the law abiding citizen from having "legal" access to the same weapons is only setting the stage for burglars to have the upper advantage... unarmed citizens that can't protect themselves.

I do agree that this particular case sounds suspicious in that how many 20 year olds have $1900 cash in their apartment ??? Me thinks something is fishy there.

Your logic however is pathetic.

jdmac44 wrote on January 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

I know people who like to keep a pile of cash at home, it's not necessarily an indicator of criminal activity.  It actually served someone I know well once when he was arrested at home for making an intoxicated threatening phone call to a man who was seeing his wife while they were separated; he also suffered from PTSD as an Iraq War vet.  I don't endorse making threats or excuse him for it, but it's not that hard to get in trouble these days and he was able to bail himself out.

My common sense is tingling. wrote on January 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

I would hate to see the result if someone was trying to protect themselves against a pellet gun with an actual firearm. Granted these guys are idiots, but I don't think their stupidity means they deserve to die.

How would everyone have felt if the two morons were shot and killed in self defense?

Just a question, not a call for confrontation.

jdmac44 wrote on January 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Nobody has time to figure out what someone is actually carrying, especially if it looks like a gun.  If they're breaking into my home, they intend to do me bodily harm, that's all that matters, in my opinion and by Illinois law.  Why don't you post your address so career criminals can pick you out as a soft target?  Or just put all your valuables out on the front porch?  Easier for everybody.

jdmac44 wrote on January 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

Because I'd rather get the tar beaten out of me than for someone who has the nerve to invade my home to be shot dead.  Not.  Choose your own course for yourself.  And of course criminals never become more bold and violent in their future ventures, they become more timid.

My common sense is tingling. wrote on January 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I don't have the nerve to kill someone that is intent on dealing me a beating. That's a bit lopsided. Now a beating back, yeah. Am I going to pull out a gun and shoot them? Not likely. Your way of thinking reflects a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. So I guess if you're okay shooting a young man with a pellet gun and two others that were unarmed, good for you. You do what you think is right.

It's not something I am willing to do. And as far as putting my address out there, to present myself as a "soft target", I am anything but. Where I grew up and where I live, along with my various skills and training in life, are more than enough to make me feel comfortable in most situations. Granted, I've never had a gun pulled on me, but I don't feel like I need another gun to defend against one.

Thanks for not making your comments confrontational.

hellllllo wrote on January 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm

"The intruders demanded cash and cannabis as Fry reportedly held the man on the floor and the other two punched and kicked him then searched the apartment."

Would this possibly be because the intruders knew the "victim" and knew he would have cash and cannabis? Maybe that should be investigated as well.

Bulldogmojo wrote on January 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

I hear Glenn Beck is building a separatist settlement/city/gun emporium in Texas.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on January 17, 2013 at 9:01 am

I know!! I'm moving there myself. I've already sent Mr Beck a several thousand dollar downpayment for the chance to live in that paradise on earth. I can't wait.

I can't wait for the townhall meetings. We'll all be shouting and red faced and stamping our feet and brandishing our weapons at each other. PURE HEAVEN!! Just like the founders intended. You thought the teaparty rage at townhalls a few years ago was impressive? Wait till you see how we solve zoning issues, municipal questions, and property boundary disputes.

I can't wait for my new neighbors to complain about that three story building I built right on the edge of my property that shades his garden and blocks his view. Let him tell it to my awesome sooper manly SAR.

If he's got the guts...

It'll be perfect. Waht could go wrong...?

Bulldogmojo wrote on January 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

LOL If the separatist crazies want to build a box and put themselves in it that's alright by me. They will be easier to keep an eye on that way

Shadow wrote on January 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm

You know, here in the afternoon's updates we have another case where individuals are breaking in to a home (Urbana) and demanding Cash and Mary Jane.

Is there a connection ?

As for these young teens breaking and entering in to a home, I honestly don't care how old they are. If they are breaking into my home, then I am going to defend myself.

I "used" to be quite the man... back in the day. I "used" to be muscle bound from head to toe and could handle myself in almost any situation. Unfortunately for me, and many other people as well, I am not the man I "used" to be due to health reasons. I can no longer just stand up and kick the $h!t out of 3 or 4 guys with or without weapons like I used to. I still have the mentality to do so, but not the physical means to make it happen.

I have had a gun pointed at me and with nothing more than my attitude and a Schrade LB7 (lock-blade knife) I made that man cower and retreat.
I have had a knife pulled on me more than once, the last time being a mere 12 year old. Do you think that I cared about his age while he was swinging that blade at me... NOT !

Me thinks that sometimes, some people, similar to some here on this post, with their education and maturity, these people are not really in touch with just how nasty the "real" world can be... and the war-mongers that live in it and threaten us. Some peoples live in such a sheltered life style that they can not see past the pastel colors of their own noses.

I have seen violence first hand and up close. Not the kind of violence that a war vet in the military has seen, but right here on the streets of good-ole USA. The fact that I wasn't raised in an "upscale" family in a nice neighborhood with "upscale" privilages has forced me to claw my way through some of the muck and scum that live on the streets where the upscale folks never venture.

I have been beaten by gangs of guys, hunted like an animal, shot at and spit on. I am not alone either. I could have easily grown in to one of these kids that take a gun to school and start killing people for bullying me, but I didn't.

I don't wish to harm anybody. I only wish to live a peacable life in harmony with my wonderful wife, but if someone chooses to bring hell into my living room I'm shooting back. I don't have to kill someone to protect myself, but I might.

imru95 wrote on January 15, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I don't think there is a connection in the crimes that you linked in.  The people wanted in the Urbana robbery were African American.  The young men in the Savoy robbery are white.

Shadow wrote on January 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Right... two black men.............. three white boys... more than likely separate.

Markus wrote on January 15, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Most comments ever!!

Sid Saltfork wrote on January 16, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Wow...Markus with that outfit your really ready for the bad guys.

Local Yocal wrote on January 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm

The likely scenario here is the 20 year olds and the 19 year old knew the resident, knew the resident had a large amount of cash in the house, and knew there would also be cannabis in the house, i.e. the resident might have been a drug dealer who the three no longer cared for. Can't say for sure, but that would be a first guess.

Odd that within "moments" of catching Cody, 3 hours of catching Coltonn, and Jordan turning himself in later that afternoon, the money and iPhone came up missing that fast. The boys are lucky they didn't get killed/seriously injured by an armed resident or a shooting deputy.

Not lucky is they got violent, and beat the guy up after having him down on the ground, and shot him in the hand. All done during a political climate of debating conceal and carry, gun control, and fear of crime, criminals, and massacres. The bonds set are reflective of this. The parents of these young men are going to lose their sons to some long prison sentences, so it would appear. Cody might catch a break for snitching out the other two.

It's one stupid career move by the three stooges here, and they and us are going to be paying for their room and board for decades at about $20,000- a-year each. It may be worth it if they are beyond rehabilitation already at age 20, only time and those who know the situation better can say. One thing is for sure, The News-Gazette and the landed gentry are tired/scared of these home invasions and examples are going to be set. I can hear Difanis' sentencing speech already....

Shadow wrote on January 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I am going to guess that these boys will all get off with nothing more than slaps on the hands... probation... reduced sentences and we'll be seeing them back here in the news within a year or two.

It's sad and unfortunate, but our prosecuting attorney has no balls and it seems that everybody walks with reduced sentences... particularly the DUI cases.

serf wrote on January 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm

So one says too tough on crime, the other says too lax....

Local Yocal wrote on January 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm

No Serf, I said it will be tough on crime. I didn't express my opinion whether that is too tough. Only those who know the situation better, would know whether it's too tough or too lax. We can agree that the tough approach will be expensive. Maybe it's worth it, I don't know myself.

Local Yocal wrote on January 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm

removed by author

EL YATIRI wrote on January 20, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Most likely this won't go to trial and will be plea bargained to lesser charges.  That's the way our legal system works most of the time.