Police investigate reported stabbing

UPDATED 9:45 a.m.

CHAMPAIGN — A Mahomet man who allegedly slashed another man with a folding knife is in the Champaign County Jail after being arrested for aggravated battery.

Champaign police Sgt. Dave Griffet said Michael A. Jordan, 30, who listed addresses on Diane Lane and Meadow Hill in Mahomet, was arrested about 11:30 p.m. Monday outside Pia’s Sports Bar & Grill at 1609 W. Springfield Ave., C.

Griffet said Jordan was in the bar and met up with a woman with whom he had a history. He was ultimately asked to leave the bar and went outside with the woman. She came back in shortly after with a visible injury and reported that Jordan had struck her, Griffet said.

A 47-year-old man from Champaign then went outside to confront Jordan and they got into a fight, Griffet said.

Witnesses said after the two men separated, Jordan got a folding knife, approached the man, and lunged at him, cutting him in the head.
The man was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana for treatment, Griffet said, and Jordan was taken to jail.

Griffet said the knife was found nearby in the parking lot.

He said a man and a woman who refused to leave the crime scene were also arrested for interfering with the officers as they investigated.

Jordan was expected to make a court appearance Tuesday afternoon.

Comments

highspeed wrote on January 22, 2013 at 10:01 am

Where`s the outcry?? Ban the knives!!!!!

7lw7 wrote on January 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I know, right? Knives are completely useless. I routinely use my 9mm to slice my apples and cheeses. Just wish I could find a more durable countertop.

awilson wrote on January 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I'll keep my completely useless gun to protect my family from intruders.  You go on and cut your food.  I'll just eat mine whole.

Sid Saltfork wrote on January 22, 2013 at 7:01 pm

....and what would have happened if Jordan had a 9mm instead of a knife?

A news story regarding a stabbing being turned into a gun control commentary is really reaching in an attempt to stop reasonable gun regulations.  Of course if a good guy packing heat would have been there, it would have never happened.  He could have shot the knife right out of Jordan's hand just like in the movies.

awilson wrote on January 24, 2013 at 12:01 am

What would happen?  He would have shot someone.  Simple.  Now...You tell me how a cool new law is going to stop him from having a gun?  Do people that choose to break laws care about a cool new law?  Reasonable gun regulations only regulate reasonable people...Not criminals.  Get a clue.

SaintClarence27 wrote on January 25, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Do you have any support for your argument other than unfounded speculation and conjecture?

Certain laws don't prevent criminals from obtaining guns. Certain laws do. This assumption that no law will ever prevent a criminal from obtaining a gun is just unreasonable propaganda from the NRA.

awilson wrote on January 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I have tons of tons of articles here in the News-Gazette that show people that aren't allowed by current laws to own guns that posess and use guns.  That's not conjecture.  There are laws there and they're not obeyed.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you make yet another new law that says those same peop;e shouldn't have guns, they won't obey that one either.  On the flip side, there's tons of evidence showing that when you ban guns, crime increases, not decreases.  Do you have any facts at all that new laws will actually lower crime?  Now that, my friend, actually is conjecture.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on January 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I know!!!!11!

DUI laws don't stop criminals from driving drunk. Laws against murder don't stop people from massacring dozens of people. Drug laws don't stop people from getting high and addicted. Age restriction laws don't stop kids from drinking or smoking. Fraud laws don't stop Wall Streeters from stealing from the rest of us.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

I agree with what you're saying here -- since there are criminals no matter what we do, we need to ABOLISH ALL LAWS!!!!!!!1!

I'm totally totally with you on that.

SaintClarence27 wrote on January 23, 2013 at 8:01 am

You are free to do that, but that gun is more likely to be used against you or a loved one (or stolen and used against an innocent person on the street) than it is to be legitimately used in self defense. You can pretend taht it protects you, but all it does is offer you a placebo for peace of mind.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

It keeps King George III the TYRANT Obama, who's WORSE THAN HITLER, STALIN, AND MAO all rolled into one, from coming into my house with his JACK BOOTED THUGS and taking my gun!!!!!1!

I need my gun to fight TYRANNY and maybe shoot the American soldiers and cops who we all know ARE coming SPECIFICALLY FOR ME.

SaintClarence27 wrote on January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

I half expect a secret service agent to not get the sarcasm and be a little concerned about some of your posts.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

Sarcasm??????2?

I'm a MODERATE. The TRUE BELIEVERS at places like redstate(dot)com think I'm a commie sell out establishment puppet.

rsp wrote on January 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm

You mean you're not???

mark taylor's ghost wrote on January 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I'm a REAL AMERICAN and a TRUE PATRIOT!!!!!!!11!

awilson wrote on January 24, 2013 at 12:01 am

My guns are locked up and won't be stolen by intruders.  I have been forced to use my gun in the past when I lived elsewhere in order to ward off a would-be burglar.  I've never had anyone use my gun against myself or my family.  Now tell me what would be more likely to happen?  Are you speaking in theory, because I'm not.  I will defend my family against people that mean to do harm.  Even if you don't think I should.

rsp wrote on January 24, 2013 at 6:01 am

Are you sure that wasn't just someone knocking on the wrong door? The only time someone was foolish enough to try to break into my house my little dog ran him off.

SaintClarence27 wrote on January 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

I said nothing of the sort- but yes, it's still more likely that you will end up shooting someone else or yourself. I'm talking about statistics and the future - not what has already purportedly happening.

I didn't say you shouldn't defend your family - I'm a gun owner and I would as well. But also understand that circumstances where protecting one's self or possessions is possible is far less likely to happen than something far worse. I'm glad you keep your weapons safely locked up - not enough people do. If I couldn't keep mine locked up, I wouldn't have them. I don't think I could deal with the thought of my weapon being used against another innocent person.

awilson wrote on January 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Do you honestly think anyone cares about "statistics" when there's an intruder in their home and their family is in danger?  I know I've heard quite a few 911 calls before where a desperate mother is on the phone hiding in a closet with her kids and an intruder is in her home.  Don't recall anyone in any of those phone calls ever reciting statistics at that point in time.  You can live by your statistics, though...If that helps you feel safe.

SaintClarence27 wrote on January 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I honestly believe that those circumstances are so unlikely that I have never heard such a recording. Have you actually heard one?

imru95 wrote on January 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Let me be the first to make a serious comment on this story.  I give major kudos to the man that stepped up and confronted this man.  Usually people are too afraid to get involved.

rsp wrote on January 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Why? The guy was outside. She was safe. He should have just called the police.

awilson wrote on January 24, 2013 at 12:01 am

I don't tend to agree with rsp, however.....There's no need for anyone to decide to be the hero once she's inside and able to be protected.  The police should have been called rather than have a drunken vigilante get cut with a knife.  Foolish.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on January 24, 2013 at 2:01 am

If only everyone had guns locked, loaded, and ready to go, on all sides and with all the bystanders too, then everything would've worked out just HUNKY DORY.

Love until it Hurts then Lo... wrote on January 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm

How do you people even know if this story is telling the truth?  How do we know who hit who?  Who were the man and woman outside who also got arrested?  What was their involvment? Everyone on here is always complaining how the news-gazette doesn't report the news accurately but none of you have questioned this story at all.  Why put the story on here and then not do an investigative reporting and follow up?

I think it is a shame that this was reported cause I do not believe it is reporting 100% of the facts.  I am sure they have some detail correct, but why would the man let the woman go back inside and then wait for her to bring people back out there to defend her?  How many people were really involved? One guy went out there and then they fought, people broke it up, then he went back after the dude with a knife, and then the police showed up, pepper sprayed him, and then hauled him off to jail?  I just see so many loopholes in this story, that the News-Gazette should at least do some reportive journalism before tarnishing this man's reputation.  Are they 100% sure he struck the woman?  Or, did the man and woman outside that also got arrested part of the whole incident?  Did the woman that was outside fight the other woman who said that this man hit her?

I would like more information to the story.  Once you make this information public, I would suggest some follow up to the best of this paper's ability.

rsp wrote on January 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

There's nothing in the story about pepper spray. What aren't you telling us??? Were you secretly there? hmmm? Give the details.

Love until it Hurts then Lo... wrote on January 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

Did you not see his picture at WCIA?  Looks at his eyes.  He was pepper sprayed.  With the world-wide-web, you can look at multiple news sites to get more details to stories.  It is incredible, you should try it out!

Sid Saltfork wrote on January 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

Who cares?  White trash get into a fight outside of a bar; and people jump to police brutality. It would not have made the news except that one of them used a knife.

Love until it Hurts then Lo... wrote on January 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

No not claiming police brutality, just stating that they have left out a lot of information to the story it seems like, and would be nice before tarnishing someone’s character that they get the story accurate.  Maybe they did, but it does not seem to me that it is the full story.

I believe the police handled themselves properly.

Bulldogmojo wrote on January 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

What do guns have to do with this? I'm thinking alcohol was involved and a failure to call the police rather than escalate the matter.

" She came back in shortly after with a visible injury and reported that Jordan had struck her" (This is where the police should have entered the situation)