Firefighters respond to mobile home blaze

Firefighters respond to mobile home blaze

UPDATED noon Saturday

URBANA — Three members of an Urbana family and their dog escaped a fire that destroyed their mobile home in northeast Urbana shortly after noon Friday.

Carroll Fire Protection District Fire Chief David Lawrence said nobody was hurt.

Champaign County sheriff’s deputy Jason Atwood said Amanda Good, 35, her daughter, Jaricka Good, 14, and Amanda's son, Nathaniel Navolt, 16 months, all got out of the burning home at 1866 Liberty Ave. with the dog and with coats on but nothing else. Two cats died in the fire, according to Good's mother, Linda Kuhn of Rantoul.

Carroll firefighters were called at 12:12 p.m. Friday. They received help from the Eastern Prairie and Edge-Scott fire departments.

Atwood said the mother and daughter heard the smoke detector go off in the home and thought it was from a candle burning in the living room. Jaricka Good headed for the back of the home, intending to turn on a bathroom vent fan. When she opened the bedroom door to get to the bathroom, she found the whole back bathroom in flames, he said.

“They grabbed the infant and the dog and headed out the door,” Atwood said.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they saw heavy smoke coming from the rear of the mobile home.

“When we got the call, it was reported as light smoke, but by the time we got to the scene, there was heavy smoke, with a significant fire going in the rear of the building,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence said firefighters struck the fire in about two hours and left after 3 p.m. He estimated damage at $10,000.

“It was a total loss,” he said.

Lawrence said the fire appeared to have started in the rear of the mobile home. The cause of the fire remains under investigation. 

“A working smoke detector alerted the residents, and everybody got out safely,” Lawrence said. “That’s the most important thing we can get out of this event.”

Kuhn said her daughter and grandchildren had lived in the mobile home about two or three years.  She said the home is owned by Amanda Good's father and was not insured.

The Red Cross gave the family money to stay in a local motel temporarily and friends were collecting items to help them. 

An earlier version of this story contained erroneous information about the relationships of the victims based on the deputy's report.