Fire causes minor damage at home in Melvin

Fire causes minor damage at home in Melvin

MELVIN — A fire that caused minor damage to the attic of a Melvin home Thursday afternoon appears to have been caused by an electrical issue, said Larry Boundy, chief of the Roberts-Melvin Fire Protection District.

Boundy said 12 firefighters responded at 1:45 p.m. to a report of fire in the attic of a one-story home at 109 N. Hunt St.

The fire started in the attic above a bathroom, Boundy said.

The home's owner, Glenn Netherton, noticed the fire and tried using a fire extinguisher to put it out before firefighters' arrival, Boundy said.

Boundy said Netherton's actions likely limited the damage.

Flames were visible when firefighters arrived. Boundy said they cut a 4- by 4-foot area out of the ceiling and used extinguishers to put out the blaze without using any water.

Firefighters were on scene for about an hour and a half, Boundy said.

No injuries were reported.

Sections (2):News, Local
Location (3):Local, Ford County, Melvin

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments