UI student charged in drug case

UI student charged in drug case

URBANA — University of Illinois police arrested a UI student who had more than $7,000 cash and almost a pound of cannabis in his apartment.

Benjamin R. Hilgendorf, 22, who listed an address in the 300 block of East Daniel Street, Champaign, was arrested by UI narcotics and street crimes officers Wednesday night following a court-ordered search of his apartment.

Sgt. Tom Geis said police had been investigating Hilgendorf for about a month and had enough information to seek the warrant Wednesday.

In his apartment, they found about 12 ounces of cannabis, a crock pot with cannabis being made into "cannabis butter" to be used in cooking, several pills used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, a digital scale, hollowed out books that had cash inside them, and a powder that police suspect is Ecstasy. In all, they found $7,520 in the apartment, Geis said.

On Wednesday, the state's attorney's office filed a single count of possession with intent to deliver cannabis against Hilgendorf.

If convicted of the Class 2 felony, Hilgendorf faces penalties ranging from probation to three to seven years in prison.

Judge Holly Clemons allowed Hilgendorf to be released on his own recognizance and told him to be back in court May 7.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

townsend1306 wrote on March 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

They charge him with one count?,   if that was a Black male living in the north end they would have charge him with with a CLASS X FELONY AND HE WOULD HAVE HAD 5 COUNT OF POSSESSION 5 COUNT OF INTENT TO DELIVER AND 4 OR 5 OTHER CHARGES THIS IS HOW THE POLICE WORK IN CHAMPAIGN THIS GUY IS  22 BUT THEY WOULD HAVE CHARGED AN 18YR OLD BLACK MALE  WITH NO POLICE HISTORY A CLASS X FELONY WHICH CARRY  UP TO 30 YRS.  ALL I ASK IS FOR SOMEONE TO CHECK THIS OUT, SO DON'T TELL ME CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, UOFI, POLICE ARE NOT RACIST LET'S LOOK AT THE FACTS AND THE PAST !!!

j.dexter wrote on March 14, 2013 at 5:03 pm

The police don't charge people, the State's Attorney does. She is an elected official. If you don't like the way she charges alleged criminals, vote in a different one.

scarecrowz wrote on March 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I guess it doesnt matter who gets arrested, or what they are arrested for now adays. RACISM against African Americans has to be thrown around in every case.  I challenge you to do your OWN research and provide details, it should be easy to prove your point... right?  I am certainly interested in seeing your results.

Morris44 wrote on March 14, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Oh....please!  Here we go......!  Police have nothing else to do?  Hahaha!  If anyone gets in trouble now it is because they were being "picked on".  It is never that they are remorseful for the actions but "they were getting targeted or picked on". So tired of the same argument.

Danno wrote on March 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Aarrgg...just trying to help his fellow students in coughing up additional fees of $Millions for years for the Assembly Hall rennovation. C'mon...

Local Yocal wrote on March 15, 2013 at 3:03 am

See Oct. 24, 2012 News-Gazette article about U of I students James and Paul McElwain: Brothers get jail time, probation in cocaine case

Bulldogmojo wrote on March 20, 2013 at 4:03 pm

If this were Colorado he would be considered an enthusiastic tax paying entrepreneur. Meanwhile the University spits out countless graduates with MDs into the community every year who hawk whatever dangerous drug the pharmaceutical reps put in front of them.

Something seems out of balance here and I don't mean the scales in that kid's apartment.

welive wrote on March 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Look at the laws buddy a class x for less then one pound of weed? if he had a gun on him or in his apartment yes he could of been chareged with a class x.I personaly had 3 pounds of weed and a gun on me i got a class X did my 4 years.If i had no gun that would of been a class 4 felony.Sorry to tell you i am white.So dont even go there.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Now, I understand your negative comments toward U of I employees striking for raises.  I understand your dilemma in employment now.  It is difficult to obtain employment with a felony for drugs.  More assistance with job placement needs to be done for ex-offenders.  A second chance should be available for everyone's benefit including the ex-offender, his family, his community, and employers.  Second chance employees make loyal, and productive employees the majority of the time.  I sincerly hope things work out for you.

Bulldogmojo wrote on March 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

You would be surprised how forgiving the University is in its hiring practices if the person has done their bit to pay for their crimes. I for one would take a chance on working with this guy before I work with anyone at University administration. Administrators will rob your whole financial existence with the stroke of a pen.

Local Yocal wrote on March 21, 2013 at 2:03 am
Bulldogmojo wrote on March 21, 2013 at 8:03 am

I wasn't aware of that documentary. I am definately going to watch it.

Local Yocal wrote on March 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

Kevin Booth's documentary, American Drug War: The Last White Hope, although dated, is an excellent examination of the same topic.

welive wrote on March 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

yes thing are working out for me i do own my own place of busniness.And still feel the the drug war is a waste of money.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

I agree with you that the drug war is a waste of taxpayers money.  It does make money for some industries, war profiteers, that maintain the need for it just like every other war.