Savoy man charged in cannabis case

URBANA — A Savoy man who allegedly had more than 2 pounds of cannabis and thousands of dollars in cash in his apartment last week has been criminally charged in Champaign County.

Brett M. Shaw, 24, who listed an address in the 1200 block of Village Parkway, was charged Monday with a single count of possession with intent to deliver cannabis stemming from a search of his apartment last week that turned up about 2 1/2 pounds of cannabis and led to the seizure of $29,000 cash both locally and in Kansas.

"There is no lack of cannabis in Champaign-Urbana," said University of Illinois police Capt. Roy Acree, adding that his department had been investigating Shaw for months. "It's a matter of catching the right person or giving the right person a break to get to a bigger fish. This guy was going all the way to Eugene, Ore., and Colorado to pick up his marijuana."

Acree said by last Thursday, UI drug investigators had enough information on Shaw's alleged drug activities to obtain a search warrant for his apartment.

With the help of Champaign County sheriff's investigators, they searched Thursday evening, finding about 2 1/2 pounds of cannabis and a little more than $9,500 in different places in Shaw's apartment.

"The decision was made not to arrest him at that time," said Acree.

"On Saturday, we get information that a person from Kansas University is going to be coming with additional cash that is owed to Shaw," Acree said.

Police monitored that meeting and learned that the Kansas student gave Shaw an additional $10,300 in cash. After he left Shaw's Savoy apartment, officers stopped his car, and found an additional $5,700 in it.

"Then we got the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigations in Lawrence, Kan., where they seized $3,505 (from the other man's apartment)," Acree said.

Acree said the total amount of cash seized by authorities was $29,000. The cannabis taken from Shaw's apartment had a street value of $1,300, Acree said.

Acree said the other man was not arrested but police continue to investigate him.

Shaw asked for a probable cause hearing and is due back in court April 16.

He continues to be held in the Champaign County jail. If convicted, he faces penalties ranging from probation to three to seven years in prison.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

sameeker wrote on March 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

It's the cash that they were after. I am so tired of my tax dollars being wasted on this bogus war on drugs.

use er name wrote on March 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I think I need math help! I dont smoke; but know people who do.

16 ounces per pound.

2.5Lbsx16=40oz

"street value"="$1,300"

so 1300/40-=$32.50 per ounce??? (1oz =28.35gm)

32.50/28.35+$1.15 per gram. Seems way low???

twogrand67 wrote on March 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm

1,300 so low they can let him go, not from the ghetto, and you know

SaintClarence27 wrote on April 03, 2013 at 3:04 pm

That number has no legal effect.

j.dexter wrote on March 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Seized drug money funds drug investigations therefore very little, if any, of our tax money goes toward drug investigations. I hope if you are passionate about ending the war on drugs, you are doing more than just complaining on news feeds.

sameeker wrote on March 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I agree that the money has made it another bureaocracy that feeds off of itself. I could lobby congress to stop this waste of money (which does use a great deal of tax money by the way), but I can't afford a big check to staple to my letter.

use er name wrote on March 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Ok, no correction. I'm gonna call "B.S." on this one. The numbers are wrong.

Just go to Urbana and talk to a cannabis smoker. There are lots here. You'll find them in the bike lanes on almost any street (unless they are riding in the middle of the road to annoy the taxpayers driving their cars-but that's another story for another day).

Anyway, ask them if they can buy their weed for a dollar or so per gram. Ask what they would do to be able to buy some bud for 33 bucks an ounce!

Then report back. thanks.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on March 25, 2013 at 9:03 am

Get yer cyclist hate on!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaawww!!

You can tell they don't pay no taxes cause they ain't got no car. Yeeuup.

They don't deserve to be allowed on the road!!

It's totally totally not weird or cranky to insult the People's Republic of Urbana and those dang no tax paying bicycle riders on a thread about a pot bust.

Yep. Not weird or cranky at all.

Nope. Not a bit. PERIOD!!!!!!!

Local Yocal wrote on March 23, 2013 at 5:03 am
use er name wrote on March 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Dude, Ghost what are you talking about?.

I just suggested a reliable source of information, a subject-matter expert in the field of cannabis.Someone with hands on experience. I simply shared a suggestion as to where such an expert MIGHT be found.

Where's the hate? I ride a bicycle.

I never even implied that bicyclists don't pay taxes. I didn't even know this was the case until you set me straight! It doesn't seem fair to me,but if that's the law, I guess we have to follow it.I   just made a side note that the car drivers deserve to use the road too.

Of course the cyclists can use the road, riding on the right of the lane, using hand signals, coming to a complete stop at stop signs and red lights. Also being sure to follow the law by not riding with no hands, and not carrying anything on the handlebars that would impede the safe operation of the bike. Don't forget brakes and reflectors and lighting.

I was truly unaware that the proper name of the city was The Poeple's Republic of Urbana! I apologize for my ignorant insensitivity.

I was also unaware that, as you mention, the bicyclists in Urbana, sorry, The People's Republic of Urbana don't pay taxes.

I stand corrected.

I need your help as I am someone less enlightened. I just don't read all that good. Please what does the word "Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaawww" mean and when should I use it?   It's a long one so it's sure to impress people and make me look smart if I can use it in casual conversation!

Again, thanks for correcting me.

mark taylor's ghost wrote on March 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm

No, sir. It is you who has schooled me.

Clearly, I viciously and maliciously misconstrued the clear and obvious intent of your earlier comments, to which I hit the 'reply' button before making my unfounded and unfair inferences based on your clearly bicycle- and Urbana-friendly, not to mention completely on-topic, remarks.

My deepest and most sincere apologies are yours to accept or decline, at your discretion.

However, I must protest that you do yourself a scandalous disservice by describing yourself as unaware and unenlightened, like so many of the unwashed rabble.

You have bested me, sir. And to you I say a hearty 'YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWWW!!1!'

YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaw, sir. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaw!!!!!11!