Urbana teen faces solicitation of minor charges

Urbana teen faces solicitation of minor charges

UPDATED 5 p.m. Friday

URBANA — An Urbana teen who allegedly made inappropriate contact with a 12-year-old girl he met through Facebook, despite being warned by her parents to stop, has been criminally charged with felony offenses.

Andreas Bachmann-Gaynor, 17, who listed an address in the 200 block of South Poplar Street, was arrested Thursday afternoon after questioning by Urbana police detectives about conduct that started last month.

Bachman-Gaynor pleaded innocent on Friday to two counts of felony indecent solicitation of a child, two counts of felony traveling to meet a minor, and two counts of felony grooming (using an electronic device to lure or attempt to lure an underage person in to committing a sexual offense).

Investigator Duane Maxey said on March 22, the father of the 12-year-old Urbana girl found Bachmann-Gaynor in the girl’s bedroom about 11 p.m. The girl’s family learned that Bachmann-Gaynor had made contact with her through Facebook. They informed him she was only 12 and told him to leave the house, which he did.

Maxey said in spite of knowing her age, Bachmann-Gaynor allegedly continued to make contact of a sexual nature with the girl through Facebook.

“He then arranged to meet with her a second time, knowing her age,” he said.

Assistant State’s Attorney Lindsey Clark said on Monday, April 1, the father knew from reading his daughter’s Facebook messages that Bachmann-Gaynor was on his way to the home, intending to have sex with his daughter. He called police, who were there waiting when Bachmann-Gaynor arrived about 12:30 a.m.

Clark said Bachman-Gaynor took off running and disobeyed police commands to stop. He was caught and eventually spoke to investigators, admitting that he had been communicating with the girl in “sexually explicit terms” and traveled to her home intending to have sex with her.

Maxey said the girl let Bachmann-Gaynor into her home, thinking her parents were asleep.

He credited the girl’s parents for calling police when they knew Bachmann-Gaynor was en route to their home a second time.

“The first occasion, they attempted to control the situation through education and it didn’t work,” he said.

Clark said Bachmann-Gaynor was charged Friday with two counts each of indecent solicitation of a minor, traveling to meet a minor and grooming, all of which are felonies. If convicted of the most serious, he faces penalties ranging from probation to two to five years in prison.

Maxey said the teen’s computer and cellphone were seized as part of their investigation.

Bachman-Gaynor’s bond was set at $50,000. His next court appearance was set for May 21.

Sections (2):News, Local


Comments for this post are inactive.