Updated: Man charged after attack on UI student

Updated: Man charged after attack on UI student

Updated 5:16 p.m. Monday.

URBANA — A registered sex offender arrested over the weekend in connection with the attempted sexual assault of a University of Illinois student is being held at the Champaign County Jail on $500,000 bond.

Gregory G. Hayes, whose last known address was listed on the 1900 block of East Washington Street in Urbana, pleaded innocent on Monday to two counts of attempted aggravated criminal sexual assault and two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

His next court appearance was set for May 14.

Detective Sgt. Tom Geis said a woman was walking home south on Lincoln Avenue near Oregon Street early Sunday morning when she felt she was being followed. The man disappeared for a short time but reappeared as she was entering her residence hall, Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory Dr., U. A man, whom police later identified as Hayes based on a surveillance video camera at the residence hall entrance, allegedly pushed his way inside the building after her. Geis said there was a struggle and Hayes reportedly put the woman in a chokehold from behind and dragged her out of the building. Alerted by the woman's screams, another Allen Hall resident confronted the man and he ran off, Geis said. Police were called to the scene around 3:20 a.m.

After alerting other local police departments, an officer from Urbana recognized Hayes on images from the video and knew he is a registered sex offender. Police arrested him at his home about 45 minutes after the incident occurred, Geis said.

"It's another great success story for video cameras on campus and cooperation between local police departments solving crimes in a quick manner," Geis said.

Hayes, an independent contractor for The News-Gazette, reportedly told police he was delivering newspapers.

"We are continuing the investigation and going back through our older cases to see if there are any similarities and other unsolved sex assaults," Geis added.

Comments

whatithink wrote on April 08, 2013 at 2:04 pm

How nice of the news-gazette to hire a registered sex offender.

GeneralLeePeeved wrote on April 08, 2013 at 3:04 pm

...bet it makes some of the customers on his route real comfortable knowing this!

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 08, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Any other convicted sex offenders on your staff going door to door we should know about?

Yocal wrote on April 08, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Wow, you probably should have left out the "delivering newspapers" info. Just guaranteed that I will never have the N-G delivered to MY door.

serf wrote on April 08, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I'm not trying to be an apologist for the 'ol NG, but there are 247 sex offenders in this county.  Unless you live in a hole, you probably have more contact with them than you think.

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 08, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Doesn't mean I am going to pay them to stop by my house everyday

kyedpa5 wrote on April 08, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Don't paint with a broad brush my friend.  Not all sex offenders are untreatable predators like this guy.  Many made terrible mistakes in their youth (many under the influence), and they have served their time.  People deserve second chances.... Except for pedophiles.  We should probably just do a solid and lock them all up for life.

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 08, 2013 at 7:04 pm

According to the Illinois sex offender registry this guy was not in compliance as he had not provided the police with his current address. How do we know who is redeemable and who isn't until maybe its too late? They should not be working jobs that provide them access to a route of residences like post office jobs, repairmen or in this case newspaper delivery. I'm all for redemption and forgiveness when someone has paid their debt so to speak but sexual predation is a special type of criminal violence that requires walking a much narrower path in life to maintain trustworthiness in society after that debt is paid.  I hope the NG has some really great lawyers because I don't think that "independent contractor" thing is going to wash in court.

kyedpa5 wrote on April 08, 2013 at 6:04 pm

It should probably be noted that just because this guy is an "independent contractor" for the NG doesn't really mean anything about him being a less affiliated paper deliverer because they are all "independent contractors", how else do you think news paper companies get around those pesky child labor laws?

asparagus wrote on April 08, 2013 at 7:04 pm

If we expect NG to know every "sex offender" then we should expect every employer to know this.  Sex offenders have to work somewhere, usually, right?  So, do we condemn them to unemployment?  If so, just keep them in prison (or execute them ... cheaper).

Not seeing why everyone is ganging up on the NG.  Must be latent hostility ...

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 08, 2013 at 8:04 pm

NG has access to this site just like the general public  http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/  You just have to type a name in as part of a background check.

serf wrote on April 08, 2013 at 10:04 pm

a background check to deliver newspapers?  OK....

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 08, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Well Woodward and Bernstein, apparently so...The NG hired ("Contracted") with a non-compliant sex offender which made him a fugitive from the law. It wasn't an 11 year old looking to make some video game money. On the other hand if you can be a stalker and the mayor I guess you can be a fugitive sex offender and have a job that allows you to go door to door of hundreds of residences a day relatively unnoticed as the "newspaper dude" sizing up your potential victim pool. I assure you the NG is checking every name now.

serf wrote on April 09, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Where are you getting the 'non-compliant' part from?

Learning2B wrote on April 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

In 2007, he was charged and pled guilty to failing to notify the proper agencies of his current address, as he is mandated to do as a sex offender.

volts10 wrote on April 12, 2013 at 4:04 am

He does not show up on the registered sex offender site.

constantly amazed wrote on April 13, 2013 at 11:04 am
mankind wrote on April 09, 2013 at 11:04 am

That's right, the NG should be ashamed for unleashing this man on society! Because if you can't trust the guy who tosses the newspaper in your driveway, who can you trust? I don't know about you, but my newspaper deliveryman is a trusted and essential member of our family. I let him play with my kids and change my baby's diapers. I let him hang out in the house while I'm gone and we have him over on Christmas morning. We let him take our kids to the pool in the summer. The NG put this man in a position of trust and they have broken a sacred bond with their customers!

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 09, 2013 at 12:04 pm

LOL of course...

Yocal wrote on April 09, 2013 at 2:04 pm

the difference being he was a registered sex offender and he OBVIOUSLY was looking for the right opportunity to strike again. Luckily, it wasn't on a child or someone he encountered on his route, early in the morning, while no one was looking, maybe even your wife leaving for work with the garage door open. N-G dropped the ball on this one. I've never encountered a job application that didn't have the "have you ever been charged with a crime" question. Anyway, another reason to not have the N-G delivered to my house.

Sid Saltfork wrote on April 09, 2013 at 2:04 pm

The surveillance cameras on campus are being put to good use.  With more of them, and being monitored; crimes can be prevented, or solved.  Hopefully; the twin cities streets can be equipped with cameras in the future.

ClearVision wrote on April 10, 2013 at 9:04 am

A newspaper deliverer has access to sensitive information, like when a person suspends delivery and hence is unlikely to be around. Do you fail to see why that could be a problem?

SaintClarence27 wrote on April 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Newspaper delivery - particularly to machines - also includes access behind security gates in many instances. For a sex offender, this is an especially eggregious problem.

serf wrote on April 10, 2013 at 6:04 pm

silly

mankind wrote on April 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Sure, he knows when you're home, as do mail carriers, garbage collectors, lawn workers, UPS drivers, neighbors, and pretty much anyone else who passes by your house, if you think about it. The N-G didn't hire him to supervise children. They hired him to toss rolls of paper onto driveways and porches. You people are overreacting.

Bulldogmojo wrote on April 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Let's ask his victims if we are overreacting for wanting a 30 second internet check...

AerieDweller wrote on April 09, 2013 at 3:04 pm

"Alerted by the woman's screams, another Allen Hall resident confronted the man and he ran off..."

GOD BLESS this Good Samaritan!  Thank you for caring enough to get involved!

serf wrote on April 09, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Amen

Marti Wilkinson wrote on April 12, 2013 at 2:04 am

When I was a teenager in the 1980's I delivered papers for The News-Gazette. At the time the paper had afternoon delivery, and it fit in with my school schedule. Unfortunately, paper delivery is not something that is as readily available for kids today.

The News-Gazette is likely relying more on adult carriers now, since they have scaled back to morning delivery. The routes cover a larger map, and often involve adults with access to vehicles.  I give the paper credit for being willing to reveal that this guy was a contractor, and I hope that they do more extensive background checks.

Depending on a persons history, a criminal record is not always a deterrent. However, the comments have pointed out the problematic aspects of hiring an individual with his history. Perhaps the type of background checks that are used for regular staff members can be employed with independent contractors in the future.

Sid Saltfork wrote on April 12, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Back in the 80's my youngest kid wanted to be a paperboy for the News Gazette.  He did it for one year.  One of his customers did not pay him for the paper when he collected.  My kid was told by the guy with the News Gazette that his pay would be docked until the customer paid.  He was, also, told that he had to keep delivering the paper to the customer.  The News Gazette guy was a jerk hollering at a young kid on the phone.  I personally delivered the next paper to the customer who was not paying.  After a brief heart to heart discussion, he paid up.  My kid collected his pay from the News Gazette; and promptly quit.  Now, the paper is delivered by the working poor.  Carriers change often depending on if their car works; or they get a decent job.  They change so often that Christmas tips are no longer applicable.  It is a rock bottom job.

Marti Wilkinson wrote on April 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Delivering papers was commission based. If your customer did not pay the bill, then the paper carrier had to carry the tab. I had a couple of customers like that, and the support system wasn't that great. I also had to buy my own supplies like rubber bands, plastic rain protectors, and the bag that I used to carry the newspapers.

When I delivered the news, I worked very hard to make sure that my customers had their papers in good condition, and it would have been nice if they had understood the expenses that we handled. Still, it was a way for me to establish earning my own income, and it enabled me to get a good work history going. Since the person I replaced was also a female, my being a 'papergirl' wasn't a novelty to the area.

My mother told me that she used to get harassing phone calls from one customer every Sunday morning while I was out delivering my route. This particular person was never happy with when I delivered her paper. So, when I quit my route my mother was thrilled to tell this lady that I was no longer delivering papers, and the same customer told her that I was a good carrier. Apparently the kid who replaced me didn't even care about his customers. There is something to be said for good old Karma.