Seat belt traffic stop brings drug arrest

URBANA — An Urbana man stopped for not wearing a seat belt is in police custody for allegedly possessing several ounces of cannabis.

Urbana police Sgt. Dan Morgan said an officer on patrol about 5 p.m. Wednesday in the area of Florida Avenue and Cottage Grove saw a man not wearing a seat belt and pulled the car over.

Noticing strong odors of cologne and cannabis, the officer searched the man and found $267 cash in his pants pocket. The officer also found about 2 ounces of cannabis in a box in the car, Morgan said.

Police arrested Kyle Pickens, 35, of the 1200 block of Clifford Drive.

They then went to his home to inform his father of the arrest and were given permission to search Pickens' room.

Morgan said they found about four additional ounces of cannabis and about $1,300 cash in a bottle that had a hidden compartment in the bottom.

Pickens was expected to be formally charged Thursday afternoon.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

EL YATIRI wrote on May 02, 2013 at 12:05 pm

END CANNABIS PROHIBITION!

GeneralLeePeeved wrote on May 02, 2013 at 1:05 pm

WTF?  ...why do the police have to talk to the parents of a 35-yr old man?

drmedic wrote on May 02, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I have questions about why a cop would go to the guys house. He is a middle age man. I beginning to think this drug war has gone to far and we are just wasting resources.

Dann001 wrote on May 02, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Ya Think????

CUgirl wrote on May 02, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Ew, has everyone who is saying stop the drug war been to that part of town? Am I the only one who is glad this guy was stopped and arrested, Im sure he does more than just smoke an entire box of pot on his downtime.

Id like to thank the officer for at least trying to do something with that area instead of just leaving it to get worse.

e-man wrote on May 02, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Usually when someones busted with more than an ounce/large amount of cash theyll issue a search warrant and crash their registered address. In this case the guy lived with his parent, so all that was needed was the property owners permission to look around...Its always the darkest just before dawn.

ryangille wrote on September 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I have a disability which prevents me from wearing a seat belt.  I have an exemption which allows me to not have to wear a seat belt.  Police officers should not stop people who are not wearing a seat belt because they don't know whether the person is breaking the law or not.  Please watch my video called "Seat Belt Stops Are Unlawful" and help me end these violations of constitutional rights.  Here is the URL to my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSfQv8CI_II