Police seek help in Danville shootings

Police seek help in Danville shootings

DANVILLE — Danville police are asking the public for help in solving a shooting early Tuesday morning on the city's east side that left a Chicago woman dead and injured two men.

Vermilion County Coroner Peggy Johnson identified the woman as 21-year-old Latifah D. L. Cross.

Preliminary autopsy results show Ms. Cross died of a single gunshot wound.

Danville police do not have any suspects in that shooting or a separate shooting that occurred just hours earlier in the same vicinity and injured another man.

"We are looking for witnesses," Deputy Director Doug Miller said late Tuesday afternoon. "If there are any witnesses or anyone who has knowledge of this, they should contact the Danville Police Department."

The fatal shooting occurred around 1 a.m. Tuesday at a house at 912 Moore St., just east of the Fair Oaks public housing complex.

Public Safety Director Larry Thomason said an officer was in Fair Oaks when he heard what sounded like numerous gunshots. The officer drove to the intersection of Fairchild and Moore streets where he saw a person in the street, who told him that people had been shot and directed him to the Moore Street house.

When the officer arrived, he found an 18-year-old man who had been shot in the back lying on the living room floor. He also found the woman lying face down in the hallway of the home.

The woman was pronounced dead by Medix personnel, Thomason said.

"We know she died of a gunshot wound," Thomason said.

Thomason said the woman was a relative of the home's occupant.

Thomason said the 18-year-old man was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, where he was treated and released.

He said several others were in the home at the time but weren't injured.

Witnesses reported seeing at least one male with a rifle-type weapon had approached the house and fired at the home from the street, Thomason said. He said information was sketchy as to how many others may have been with the shooter.

Then at around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, police received a call from the 900 block of Campbell Street, Thomason said. He said a 24-year-old man reported he was standing in the living room of 912 Moore Street at the time of the 1 a.m. shooting, and had been shot.

Thomason said the man's wound was minor. He was taken to the Danville hospital, where he was treated and released.

About four hours prior to the 1 a.m. shooting, around 9 p.m. Monday, police were called to the 900 block of Wakeley Drive in Fair Oaks for a separate shooting. When they arrived, a 21-year-old man reported that he had been shot in the lower leg.

The man told police he was walking toward Moore Street when he heard shots fired. As he turned to run, he felt pain in his ankle.

The man was taken by Medix Ambulance to Presence United Samaritans Medical Center in Danville. Thomason said he did not know the man's condition on Tuesday morning.

However, "his injuries were to the ankle area and not life-threatening," Thomason said.

Miller said police are looking into whether the two incidents are connected.

"We can't say for sure yet," he said.

Anyone with information about the shootings should contact Danville police at 431-2250 or Vermilion County Crimestoppers at 446-TIPS (8477).

Sections (2):News, Local


News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments