Champaign man charged in shooting

Champaign man charged in shooting

URBANA — A Champaign man has been charged with a weapons-related offense in connection with one of 10 shooting incidents that have been reported in Champaign this month.

Dushawn J. Bradley, 24, of the 1700 block of Valley Road, was arraigned Wednesday on a single count of aggravated unlawful possession of firearm by a felon. The charge alleges that on Saturday, June 8, he had a .380-caliber weapon at a home in the 1200 block of West Bradley Avenue, where two men were hit by gunfire. A third man said he was grazed, according to Assistant State's Attorney Sarah Carlson.

Because of a 2008 conviction for armed robbery out of Vermilion County, Bradley is not allowed to have a weapon. If convicted of the charge, he faces a mandatory prison term of three to 14 years.

Assistant State's Attorney Sarah Carlson said it was a witness at the scene and phone calls from the jail by others that led police to identify Bradley as one of the men involved in the shooting, which occurred just before 8 p.m.

Carlson said Bradley was one of four men standing under a carport at the West Bradley home when they heard shots.

Wardell Dockery, 19, Deandre Smith, 26, Laniel Bradley, 24, and Dushawn Bradley were standing outside. Dockery was hit in the chest and Laniel Bradley in the arm, the prosecutor said. Smith claimed to have been grazed in the head.

Carlson said a witness later identified Dushawn Bradley as the man who allegedly returned fire, using a black pistol in one hand and a silver pistol in the other.

Bradley, who goes by the street name Dooda Bug, had been developed as a suspect after police monitored calls from undisclosed inmates at the county jail to people on the outside, Carlson said. He was arrested Tuesday.

On the night of the shooting at the West Bradley Avenue address, Champaign police found .380-caliber shell casings in the carport, a loaded .22-caliber handgun in the back yard, and two .380-caliber handguns in a hall closet, Carlson said.

Bradley asked for the services of a public defender, which Judge Richard Klaus granted. Assistant Public Defender Anthony Ortega asked for a probable cause hearing for Bradley, which Klaus set for July 12.

After hearing the facts of the shooting and Bradley's record, which also included convictions for mob action, resisting a peace officer, unlawful possession of a weapon and reckless discharge of a firearm, Klaus set bond for Bradley at $1 million.

Charges have been lodged against eight men believed to involved in five of the shootings that have occurred between June 7 and 23. Seven of them have been arrested.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

danvillenative wrote on June 27, 2013 at 12:06 am

Way to go news gazette, keep posting exactly how these shooting thugs were caught. I guess you just hope they can't read