Fire destroys Rantoul home

Fire destroys Rantoul home

RANTOUL — Fire destroyed a Rantoul home Sunday afternoon.

Fire Chief Ken Waters said the residence at 1012 Eastview Drive was a total loss. He estimated damage at $70,000.

No injuries were reported.

There was no tenant in the house at the time of the fire. Fire Capt. Dewey Shreves said the dwelling was being worked on Sunday morning by the executor of the estate who oversees the property, and another person. They left for about 30 minutes.

A neighbor reported at 12:44 p.m. that the house was on fire.

"The fire appears to have started in the utility room and went straight to the attic," Waters said. "When we arrived, smoke was pushing out at all points of the attic, but it was clear on the first floor."

Shreves said the tentative cause of the fire was a water heater that caught nearby clothing on fire.

Thomasboro Fire Department was called to assist at the scene, and Gifford firefighters were on standby at the Rantoul fire station.

Waters said that while Rantoul and Thomasboro firefighters were fighting the fire, a call came in about a transformer shorting out at 412 Broadmeadow Road with wires on the ground. Gifford Fire responded to that call.

The transformer problem caused the loss of power to that area of town.

Waters said the house fire was under control by 1:20 p.m., and firefighters cleared the scene at 2:40 p.m.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments