Charges dismissed against Rantoul man

Charges dismissed against Rantoul man

URBANA — Prosecutors have dismissed charges against a Rantoul man arrested in connection with a 2011 shooting in Rantoul.

Champaign County Assistant State's Attorney Troy Lozar said he dismissed charges of attempted murder and aggravated battery against Jyshawn Jonte Jackson, 21, of Rantoul because witnesses could not be found for the trial.

Rantoul Police Chief Paul Farber said witnesses saw one man shoot another man multiple times with a handgun outside the Colonial Liquors Store, 219 S. Maplewood Drive, on July 13, 2011.

According to a police report, after being shot, Dwayne Perkins came in the store and collapsed from multiple gunshot wounds to his arms and legs.

Perkins was released from the hospital after two days of treatment, and he identified Jackson to police as his assailant.

Police issued a warrant for Jackson's arrest two days following the shooting. Jackson was arrested in Murphysboro on April 6, 2013, and he was returned to Champaign County to face the attempted murder and aggravated battery charges; his bond had been set at $1 million.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments