Champaign man charged after knife attack

Champaign man charged after knife attack

URBANA — A Champaign man who allegedly cut a man has been charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery.

Barry A. Miles, 49, who listed an address in the 1500 block of Kiler Drive, was arrested early Monday morning by Champaign police in connection with an attack on a man in that same neighborhood.

Champaign police Sgt. Dave Griffet said officers were sent to an apartment in the 400 block of Edgebrook Drive about 2:30 a.m. Monday for a robbery report.

The person who called police said he was awakened by the sounds of his neighbor screaming. When he looked out his door, he saw three men beating the victim, Timothy Williams, outside his apartment door and heard one of the attackers say something about the victim owning him money. The witness could also see one of the men holding a knife in his hand making movements toward the victim, Griffet said.

As officers prepared Williams, 26, to go to the hospital, another officer stopped Miles as he was about to enter a side door of the apartment complex where the attack happened.

Griffet said the officer saw Miles with a bottle of vodka, blood on his hand, and a folding pocketknife. He was arrested and declined to talk to police.

They are still looking for the other two men involved.

Griffet said Williams was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital for treatment of what he described as non-life-threatening injuries to his arm and face.

Carle officials had no information on his condition.

Miles is being held in lieu of $500,000 bond and was told to be back in court Oct. 15.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

Milukluk wrote on August 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

The kid who was the wittness gave a false statement. The wittness acted out of fear of the three men, defending them by saying he overheard something about money being owed. None of the three men said a word about the victim owing money.

The wittness was not in front of the victims door. The victim was on the 3rd floor. The attack took place on the second floor. The wittness on the 1st floor.

The wittness contacted the victim claiming the police said, "Something about you being on Heroin".

The three men in question (Attacker and assailants) were said by the wittness to be Heroin dealers.

Add it up. The wittness was threatened as he came out of his door, and gave a false statement to protect the men, and save himself from retrobution.