18-year-old sentenced to 22 years in Sonic robbery

18-year-old sentenced to 22 years in Sonic robbery

URBANA — A Champaign teen who threatened employees with a gun during the robbery of a Savoy fast-food restaurant has been sentenced to 22 years in prison.

Devin McClendon, 18, whose last known address was in the 400 block of East Beardsley Avenue, pleaded guilty Wednesday before Champaign County Judge Tom Difanis to armed robbery for taking cash from the Sonic Drive-In, 101 Calvin St., Savoy, on July 3.

Assistant State's Attorney Stephanie Weber said about 12:30 a.m. that day, the business was closing when a man came to the door. When the employee opened it to tell him the business was closed, the gunman, later identified as McClendon, forced his way in and put the gun to the head of an employee. McClendon made off with about $1,400 cash in a plastic bag that he had supplied.

He left in a car allegedly driven by Tawan Williamson, 18, of the 500 block of North Edwin Street, Champaign, who's scheduled to be in court Sept. 17.

Champaign County sheriff's investigators soon learned that an employee there, Natasha Duvall, 19, of the 1600 block of West Bradley Avenue, Champaign, had received a call from her boyfriend, Sherman Bragg, 19, of the same address, alerting her that the restaurant would be robbed and she should cooperate in giving the money to the robber. Investigators said she is the one who filled the bag with the cash.

Duvall pleaded guilty last week to armed robbery and was sentenced to eight years in prison. Bragg is scheduled to be in court Sept. 5.

Weber said through Duvall and Bragg, sheriff's investigators developed McClendon and Williamson as participants. An employee identified McClendon in a photo lineup as the robber. Williamson is due back in court Sept. 17.

Weber said most of the cash was not recovered.

Because no one was physically injured in the holdup, McClendon is eligible for day-for-day good time on his sentence. Weber said his only prior conviction was for aggravated battery. He was on probation for that at the time of the holdup. His probation was unsuccessfully terminated as part of his guilty plea.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

map89 wrote on August 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

This was an armed robbery. They should all serve their full sentence.