Dishwasher fire at King Elementary in Urbana clears building

Dishwasher fire at King Elementary in Urbana clears building

URBANA - Smoke in an Urbana elementary school that caused students to be evacuated Wednesday may have been caused by a power outage earlier this morning.

Urbana school district spokeswoman JoAnne Geigner said it's possible that the power outage caused a short in a dishwasher at King Elementary, 1108 W. Fairview Ave., U.

Acting Urbana Fire Chief Brian Nightlinger said firefighters were called to King Elementary, 1108 W. Fairview Ave., U, at 12:30 p.m. for a fire in the dishwasher. Firefighters originally attributed the fire to a heating element.

Nightlinger said students were evacuated and the fire was quickly put out. Firefighters remained for a while to clear the building of smoke.

The school's power was out Wednesday morning, Geigner said, and Ameren had the power back on at the school by 8:10 a.m.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments