No arrest for youths who vandalized Sidney concession stand
SIDNEY — Four youths caught vandalizing the concession stand at Witt Park won't be prosecuted.
The village board this week heard from Trustee Eric Cokley that Supervisor of Operations Earl Bennett discovered Aug. 25 that the doors to the stand had been kicked in the previous day, causing about $50 in damage. The following day, Cokley reviewed the surveillance video and was able to identify the vandals' vehicles. Cokley recognized one and spoke with the owner, whose 16-year-old son admitted to the crime and identified three other teenage boys from Homer and Allerton who also were involved.
"I knew two of the fathers very well," Cokley said.
Cokley tracked down the boys, who admitted to the vandalism and were apologetic.
"I felt like I didn't need to get the law involved," he said. "Probably the wrath they got from their mom and dad is worse than what they would've gotten from the county. I just felt like they were being teenage boys and doing something stupid."
Village President Charles White said the security cameras had served their purpose in helping to identify the youths.