Coroner identifies two people who died in Champaign home

Coroner identifies two people who died in Champaign home

CHAMPAIGN — Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup has identified a husband and wife who died of possible carbon-monoxide poisoning Tuesday afternoon at a Champaign home.

Northrup said Man Deip, 78, and his wife, Ut T. Dao, 76, were pronounced dead at 4:26 p.m. at a home in the 700 block of Goldenview Drive on the west side of Champaign.

An autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday.

According to Northrup, the two people died as a possible result of carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Northrup said some deputy coroners remained at the scene Tuesday evening to investigate the incident.

Champaign Deputy Police Chief Troy Daniels said police and firefighters were called to the home at 3:17 p.m. Tuesday after receiving a report of two unresponsive adults with smoke in the home.

Daniels said the officers found the couple in the home. Medical personnel tried to treat both of them.

“Officers learned that a relative found both unresponsive subjects in the residence with something burning on the stove,” Daniels said in a written release. “Officers examined the scene and are continuing the investigation into their deaths.”

Northrup said an inquest may be held at a later date.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments