Man held in sexual assault case

Man held in sexual assault case

URBANA — A 19-year-old Champaign man accused of sexually assaulting another man a year ago is being held in the Champaign County Jail on $1.5 million bond.

Aaron Kirby, who listed an address in the 200 block of Ells Avenue, was arraigned Tuesday on charges filed against him last week.

Kirby is charged with a total of six counts of criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, kidnapping and aggravated kidnapping, all stemming from an incident on June 15, 2012.

State's Attorney Julia Rietz said on that day, the 20-year-old college student from Monticello left a campus bar and accepted a ride from a man he did not know. The person picked him up near Green and Neil streets. Rather than taking the man where he asked to go, the driver drove to Hessel Park where he produced a handgun and ordered the victim out of the car.

Once outside, the assailant forced the victim to engage in a series of sex acts. The victim told the man he would pay him money if he would let him go and said they could go to an ATM to get cash.

The assailant then ordered the victim into the car and had the victim drive while holding the gun on him. As he drove on Neil Street, the victim hit the brakes, jumped out of the car and ran to a nearby restaurant, where he contacted police immediately.

He was taken treated at a hospital where bodily fluids were collected from him and sent to the state crime lab for analysis of the DNA contained in the fluids. Police were unable to locate the assailant that day.

Assistant State's Attorney Steve Ziegler said his office obtained a warrant for the arrest of the "John Doe" based on the DNA taken from the victim. The DNA was entered into state and federal databases, and in September, the state crime lab found it matched DNA already on file for Kirby.

That sample had been taken earlier this year as a result of Kirby being charged with obstructing justice and aggravated discharge of a firearm in June.

That case is unresolved and was supposed to have been tried before Judge Tom Difanis this week.

However, that case was continued because Difanis is hearing a murder trial. Kirby was arrested on the new sex charges Monday as he was leaving Difanis' courtroom.

If convicted of aggravated kidnapping, the most serious of the charges, Kirby faces 21 to 45 years in prison. If convicted of the sex charges, sentences for those crimes would have to be served after the other.

Sections (2):News, Local


Comments for this post are inactive.