Urbana fire victim identified

URBANA — The woman who died in a fire in Urbana on Monday night has been identified.

Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup said an autopsy Tuesday showed that Norma "Jean" Andrews, 88, died of carbon monoxide intoxication due to smoke inhalation.

Firefighters removed Ms. Andrews from a home at 408 W. Springfield Ave., U, on Monday, when they were extinguishing a fire.

Ms. Andrews was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 8:26 p.m. on Monday.

Northrup said an inquest may be scheduled.

Firefighters still have no cause for the fire, which started in the living room at the front of the house, said Brian Nightlinger, interim fire chief in Urbana.

Investigators say the fire was not deliberately set, Nightlinger said, but they may not be able to determine an exact cause for the fire, which did $90,000 in damage to the home and its contents.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments