UI students decontaminated following chemical incident on campus
URBANA — Five University of Illinois students were decontaminated following a chemical reaction in a university building on Tuesday afternoon.
Urbana firefighters were called to the Chem Annex Building, 601 S. Mathews Avenue, at 3:52 p.m. following an initial report of an explosion.
University of Illinois spokeswoman Robin Kaler said some students in Room 301 were preparing to dispose of hydrochloric acid when they inadvertently put it in a waste container that contained nitric acid.
A chemical reaction ensued, and at least one student was apparently splattered.
Kaler said five students were decontaminated - via washing - at the scene and were being evaluated.
She had no information on Tuesday evening whether any of the students were taken to a hospital or their condition.
The Chem Annex Building was evacuated following the incident. There was no information on how many people were evacuated.
The spill was reportedly isolated to a single room. Firefighters were working following the incident to clear the room with fans.
No information was available on any damage to the building.
Kaler said she anticipates the Chem Annex Building will be open as usual on Wednesday.