Candle in use during power outage blamed for Danville fire

Candle in use during power outage blamed for Danville fire

DANVILLE — While Sunday's severe thunderstorm damaged a number of properties throughout Vermilion County, fire officials said it also led to a fire that damaged a house in Danville.

Assistant Chief Larry Jaggers said the fire, which destroyed the bathroom of a house at 16 Tennessee Ave. on the city's east side, on Sunday night apparently was started by a burning candle that was left unattended.

"They lit a candle after the power went out," Jaggers said of the family, who was renting the house. He added the fire is being ruled accidental.

Jaggers said several adults and children, whose names weren't available, were home at the time, but they managed to escape without injury. They were being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Firefighters were called to the structure fire around 9:30 p.m. When they arrived, light smoke was coming from the one-story wood-frame house.

"It started in the bathroom. It started coming down the hallway, but they managed to contain it," Jaggers said, adding firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 10 minutes.

He said the bathroom was ruined, and the rest of the house suffered heat and smoke damage. Damage was estimated at $15,000 to the structure, and $2,000 to the contents.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments