2 incumbents leaving Piatt County Board after election

2 incumbents leaving Piatt County Board after election

MONTICELLO — The Piatt County Board will get at least two new members in late 2014, including a new chairman.

Candidates had until 5 p.m. Monday to file nomination petitions for the March 18, 2014 primary ballot. Incumbents John Lyons and Dick Wilkin both opted not to run for re-election. Their terms expire in December of next year.

Lyons, a decade-long District 3 board member who currently chairs the public body, said he has enjoyed his time on the county board, but that it's time to "get fresh people in there.

"I've had 10 wonderful years with the board, and am just really ready to move on and do something else, enjoy my grandbabies, and travel some," added Lyons.

Dick Wilkin also confirmed he will not be on the ballot after a six-year run in District 2.

"It's time. I'm 73," said Wilkin, but added he would still be glad to put his mechanical engineering background to use for the county.

"I hope I can help. If there are any issues with buildings and equipment I'd be glad to help."

There will be at least one county board incumbent on the March ballot. One-term Democrat Kathleen Piatt filed nominating petitions for the District 1 seat. She will face a challenge in the November election from Ray Spencer, who filed on the Republican side.

While there are few incumbents on the county board ballot, the opposite is true with the three countywide offices that will be on next March's ballot. Incumbent Republicans Colleen Kidd (County Clerk), David Hunt (Sheriff) and Tim Pankau (Treasurer) all filed for re-election.

Republican newcomers Albert L. Manint filed for District 2 and Randy Shumard for the ballot in District 3.

Sections (2):News, Local
Tags (1):2014 election

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments