Fire damages Rantoul home Saturday

Fire damages Rantoul home Saturday

RANTOUL - Fire caused an estimated $20,000 damage to a home on the community’s northeast side Saturday afternoon.

Rantoul Fire Chief Ken Waters said firefighters were called to 1204 Briarcliff Drive at 1:07 p.m. Smoke was showing from the eaves and the attic area when they arrived.

Firefighters pulled down the ceiling in the family room and cut a hole in the roof to ventilate it.

Waters said the fire started around a recessed light fixture in the family room.

“They had a blown bulb (Friday) in that fixture,” Waters said, “and removed it, but did not install a new one.”

He said the occupants noticed a smell of smoke, and saw smoke coming from the attic.

Fifteen firefighters responded. They cleared the scene at 2:24 p.m.

 

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments