Fire that began near light fixture damages home

Fire that began near light fixture damages home

RANTOUL — Fire caused an estimated $20,000 damage to a home on the community's northeast side Saturday afternoon.

Rantoul Fire Chief Ken Waters said firefighters were called to 1204 Briarcliff Drive at 1:07 p.m.

Smoke was showing from the eaves and the attic area when they arrived.

Firefighters pulled down the ceiling in the family room and cut a hole in the roof to ventilate it.

Waters said the fire started around a recessed light fixture in the family room.

"They had a blown bulb (Friday) in that fixture," Waters said, "and removed it, but did not install a new one."

He said the occupants noticed a smell of smoke, and saw smoke coming from the attic.

Fifteen firefighters responded. They cleared the scene at 2:24 p.m.

Sections (2):News, Local