On Jan. 8:
In 1914, the new Champaign Masonic Temple was dedicated this afternoon in ceremonies attended by about 1,500 local and visiting Masons. All of the visitors were loud in their praise of the elegance of the temple.
In 1964, $55,000 has been budgeted by the board of the Champaign County Forest Preserve District for construction of a wooded covered bridge to be built over the Sangamon River at Lake of the Woods Park near Mahomet. Approximately 325 tons of lumber will be used to build the bridge.
In 1999, a Champaign County Board committee is recommending a hiring freeze for all county departments because of a $250,000 deficit in the county budget recently adopted.