Fire causes $50,000 damage to an Urbana home

URBANA — Officials believe that a fire that apparently started in a chicken coop caused an estimated $50,000 damage to an Urbana home Sunday morning.

According to an Urbana Fire Department report, firefighters were called to a single-story home at 1404 Greenridge Drive at 2:09 a.m.

When they arrived, they found smoke coming from the eaves of the house and fire in the back side of the house. They believe the fire started in a chicken coop outside the house — and was triggered by a heat lamp — according to the report.

Four people inside the home escaped without injury.

One Urbana firefighter was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital for treatment for what the fire department called “minor injuries.” The firefighter was still at Carle on Sunday evening.

The fire was under control by 2:30 a.m. Firefighters left the scene by 4:30 a.m.

The Champaign County assessor’s website listed the owner as Alan J. Tuntland of Santa Ana, Calif.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments