Snowblower may have started fire at Urbana duplex
URBANA — Urbana's fire chief said it appeared that a snowblower may have sparked a fire at a duplex Friday afternoon on the city's east side.
Firefighters were called to 2207 Philo Road about 1 p.m.
Chief Brian Nightlinger said the fire was in one side of a duplex.
"The back caught fire. They were working on a snowblower and it caught on fire," he said of the preliminary cause.
The residents were home at the time and got out safely. No one was hurt.
Firefighters were also able to get the family's birds out. They also had cats that firefighters were looking for, Nightlinger said.
Nightlinger said he had to leave the scene about 30 minutes later to respond to an open sprinkler head at Carle Foundation Hospital but said the situation appeared to be under control when he left.