Nothing suspicious about car fire
MAHOMET - An overheated wheel well on a Mercedes sparked a fire that destroyed a car on U.S. 150 Friday night.
Cornbelt Fire Department Assistant Chief Steve Elkins said the driver blew a tire but didn't stop immediately.
"The wheel well got very, very hot and it broke into flames. When the fire department arrived, the rear of the vehicle was engulfed in flames. We put it out and went home," Elkins said.
The driver got out safely. The fire was reported at 7:09 p.m. and firefighters were there less than an hour. The driver stopped at the corner of Sandy Ridge and 150, Elkins said.
"There was nothing unusual about it," he said of the fire cause.
Elkins said the 1999 Mercedes was considered a total loss.