Questions and answers on same-sex marriage law

Questions and answers on same-sex marriage law

Gay rights activist Randy Hannig was in Champaign recently to answer the public’s questions about Illinois’ same-sex marriage law. Here are the three most common questions posed to Equality Illinois officials during their statewide blitz:

Where do we get a marriage license, and how much does it cost?

Licenses are issued by a county clerk. The cost varies by county — they run $30 in Vermilion, $75 in Champaign. The license becomes valid in the county where it is issued one day later.

How do I convert my civil union to a marriage?

During the first year of the new law, couples in civil unions will be able to "upgrade" simply by filling out the conversion form with a county clerk at no additional cost. The marriage date will be retroactive to the date of the civil union. After one year, couples in civil unions must take the same steps as any couple applying for a marriage license.

Does a church, religious denomination or clergy member have to solemnize my marriage?

No. They are free to decide which marriages to solemnize, and your marriage doesn't need to be solemnized by a clergy member to be valid.

Sections (2):News, Local
Topics (1):People

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments